Richard M. Haggerty represents clients in a wide variety of industries before state and federal courts across the United States, as well as in international arbitration. He handles complex commercial matters, including contract disputes, fraud claims, consumer class actions, shareholder derivative actions defamation actions and employment discrimination cases.
Rick represents a number of clients under investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice, as well as other federal and state agencies, from the earliest stages of investigations through post-trial proceedings.
In the process, he has overseen large-scale electronic discovery and data management projects in response to government subpoenas and in preparation for trial.Rick has represented clients in various areas of constitutional law, including free speech, due process, equal protection, and claims of excessive force.
This includes the representation of Pennsylvania state prisoners on various claims brought pursuant to the Fourth and Fifth Amendments, including the partial reversal of a summary judgment ruling at the Third Circuit Court of Appeals for a client who claimed prison officials violated his due process rights during a disciplinary proceeding.
In addition to representing pro bono clients on various constitutional claims, Rick frequently volunteers to represent indigent clients on routine matters through the Homeless Advocacy Project. Prior to attending law school, he worked as a journalist for the Associated Press and The Legal Intelligencer.
- Represented Hewlett-Packard Company in two cases involving breach of contract and business-related tort claims, serving as lead counsel in one of those actions.
- Served as lead associate in successful representation of mineral company involving $10 million breach of contract dispute in international arbitration.
- Represented a subsidiary of the Pennsylvania Real Estate Investment Trust (PREIT) in litigation against a restaurant developer for fraudulent inducement and civil conspiracy. PR Exton Square Property, L.P. v. [email protected], LLC, et al., No. 12-09811 (Court of Common Pleas of Chester Cnty., Pa.). Case settled on favorable terms.
- Represented GeoInvesting, LLC, the operator of a financial information website, against tortious interference, fraud, and defamation claims by Chinese fuel producer. Sino Clean Energy, Inc., v. GeoInvesting, LLC, et al., No. 651248/2011 (N.Y. Sup. Ct.). Court dismissed all claims.
- Represented Pennsylvania state prisoner on claims of false arrest and malicious prosecution against City of Philadelphia. Deck v. City of Philadelphia, et al., Civ. No. 09-5874 (E.D. Pa.). Case settled immediately prior to trial.
- Represented Pennsylvania State University’s primary outside counsel in matters related to the Jerry Sandusky scandal.
- Villanova University School of Law, J.D., 2008, cum laude
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A., 2001
Bar Admissions : New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
Rate : $$$