Richard Jay Weiss focuses his practice on governmental and municipal law advice and guidance to both private sector and public sector clients. He currently provides services to companies such as American Airlines, the Hertz Corporation and the Miami Heat basketball franchise. Since 1991, he has served as City Attorney for nearly a dozen South Florida cities and special counsel and labor counsel to many more.
Prior to joining the firm, he served for seven years as an Assistant County Attorney for Miami-Dade County. Richard’s extensive experience includes litigation in both the State and Federal trial and appellate courts.
In recent years, he has authored charters for many newly-created cities. He was an adjunct professor in the Department of Public Administration at Florida International University and is currently writing a textbook on Florida local government law.
He is the author of numerous publications regarding dispute resolution and arbitration and is a frequent speaker on municipal law topics to groups such as the American Arbitration Association, the Florida Association of Police Legal Advisors, the Florida Public Employer Relations Association and the Florida Association of Municipal Attorneys. He has lectured at the Criminal Justice Institute at Broward County Community College.
- Tulane University Law School, JD, 1977
- Tulane University, BA, 1974
- Broward County Charter Review Commission, 2000, 2006
- Broward County Planning Council Chairman, 1995-2002
- Town of Miami Lakes Charter Commission, 2000
- Make-A-Wish Foundation of Southern Florida Advisory Board, 1999
- Miami-Dade County Mayor’s Ad Hoc Charter Review Committee, 1997
- City of Aventura Charter Commission Attorney, 1995
- Indian Trace Charter Steering Committee, 1995
- Dade County Public Health Trust Trustee, 1989-1993
- Jackson Memorial Foundation Chairman, 1989-1993
- Haven Center (Home for Disabled) Director, 1978-1988
- Affiliate Outreach Project Director, 1986
Rate : $$$