Richard (Rick) Saines heads the North America Climate Change and Environmental Markets Practice and serves on the steering committee for the Firm’s Global Renewable Energy and Clean Technology Practice. He is widely published and globally recognized as a leading climate change lawyer, bringing over fifteen years of experience on climate change law matters advising multinational companies, financial institutions, funds and project sponsors on carbon and environmental market transactions within the international, regional and voluntary markets.
Mr. Saines also advises major global corporations on climate change policy, sustainable development and global corporate greenhouse gas compliance and management. He is recognized by Chambers USA and Chambers Global as a leading climate change lawyer.
He serves as Vice-Chair in the International Emissions Trading Association and served as a member of the World Economic Forum’s Global Agenda Council for Climate Change and was the former Co-Chair of the Renewable Energy Resources Subcommittee of the American Bar Association.
In 2016, Rick was awarded Chevalier of the National Order of Merit by the President of the Republic of France for his significant contribution to the preparation of the Paris Climate Summit and the implementation of the Paris Agreement.
Mr. Saines routinely advises on leading carbon market transactions, both within the US and across multiple jurisdictions throughout the world, including Mexico, Brazil, Ecuador, Peru, Madagascar, Indonesia, Malaysia, Nigeria, Kenya, and China.
He has considerable experience in the areas of forestry and terrestrial carbon, U.S. biofuels and renewable energy incentives and regulations, and the laws and policies concerning carbon capture and storage. He is a co-founder of Avoided Deforestation Partners.
- Chicago-Kent College of Law (IIT) (JD) (1996)
- Miami University (Ohio) (BS) (1991)
Admissions : Illinois~United States (1996)
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- International Emissions Trading Association – Board Member
- American Council on Renewable Energy – Member
- Illinois State Bar Association – Member
- Emissions Marketing Association – Member
- Climate Markets & Investment Association – Member
Representative Legal Matters:
- Advised a major global transport company in connection with RIN values and renewable fuels mandates under US EPA’s Final Rule on the 2012 Renewable Fuel Standards.
- Represented a major offtaker in connection with biofuels supply and financing agreements, including in connection with the ownership and rights to the related environmental attributes.
- Represented a leading US portfolio of carbon offsets from CCUS projects in a strategic alliance, marketing, offtake and equity investment with a major global investment bank.
- Represented various project developers and investors regarding REDD+ projects in Kenya, Madagascar, Cambodia, Brazil, Ecuador and Peru.
Rate : $$$