Richard J. Miller has extensive experience in the areas of corporate, securities law, municipal and project finance, public private partnerships, interest rate swaps and other derivative products. Most projects involve infrastructure financing. He has many years of experience in all types of taxable and tax-exempt municipal financings.
In this regard, he serves as bond counsel to Broward, Palm Beach and Hillsborough counties and Shelby County Tennessee, and in Tennessee, for the City of Memphis and Shelby County in connection with their Community Re-Development Agency financings, the Memphis and Shelby County Sports Authority financings and the Memphis and Shelby County Port Commission, including inter-governmental financing support for the new large Electrolux manufacturing facility recently located in the Port of Memphis.
Other cities and towns include Lake Worth, the Town of Palm Beach and the City of Punta Gorda. Major authorities include the Solid Waste Authority of Palm Beach County and the South Florida Water Management District relative to its Everglades restoration projects.
Rick formerly served as bond counsel to the State of Tennessee and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. He has specialties in airport financing having worked on major financings for Orlando International, Palm Beach International, Miami International, and Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport, as well as Memphis International, Nashville and Hawaii Airports, among others.
He serves as disclosure counsel/securities counsel to Broward County, Miami-Dade County and the City of Pensacola and the Seacoast Utility Authority and also serves as underwriter’s counsel, bank counsel and securities’ counsel to major underwriters and banks.
Rick serves as transactional counsel in connection with the privatization of the City of Vero Beach, Florida Electric Utility. Prior to joining the Firm, Rick was Partner-in-Charge of the Florida office of the New York-based firm of Mudge Rose Guthrie Alexander & Ferdon.
- $1,800,000,000 validation of Certificates of Participation for South Florida Water Management District in connection with the Comprehensive Everglades Restoration Project.
- $776,000,000 Miami-Dade County, Florida Aviation Revenue Bonds, Series 2012A and Series 2012B (Miami International Airport) (Hub of the Americas SM).
- $214,690,000 Broward County, Florida Half-Cent Tax Revenue Bonds (Main Courthouse Project), Series 2010A.
- $110,265,000 Hillsborough County, Florida Utility Revenue Bonds, Series 2010B (Federally Taxable – Build America Bonds – Direct Payment).
- $546,120,000 South Florida Water Management District Certificates of Participation Series 2006 (Everglades Restoration Projects).
Professional Affiliations :
- Member, Florida Bar Association
- Member, Illinois Bar Association
- Member, New York Bar Association
- Member, National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Member, Government Finance Officers Association
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 1971
- A.B., University of North Carolina, 1968
Admissions : New York; Florida; Illinois; Texas
Rate : $$$