Richard C. Milstein concentrates his practice on complex, not so complex, and high conflict trust, probate, estate, and guardianship litigation and administration, and family law matters. With Richard’s over four decades of experience in these areas, he ably assists clients and members of families, whether related or not, with resolution of their issues in a caring and sensitive manner.
In addition to litigation and administration services, Richard provides life and estate planning advice to moderate and high net worth individuals and families concentrating his practice on innovative planning solutions for alternative families and same sex couples.
One other area of special interest is his representation of the vulnerable in our community – children, the elderly, and those who are marginalized. Richard is Certified Mediator by the Florida Bar Board of Certification. Richard is a past president of the Dade County Bar and the current chair of the Probate Committee and has served on the Board of the Dade County Bar for multiple years.
Throughout his career he has been involved in numerous other organizations on a national, state, and local level, including the American Bar Association on the House of Delegates and more recently on the Commission on Law and Aging; the Florida Bar as the chair of the Council of Sections, on the Real Property and Probate Section (having served on many committees and leadership roles) and the Elder Law Section (past chair and legislative chair for many years).
He is a fellow of the American College and Estate Counsel (ACTEC) and been a representative on three national think tanks dealing with the issues of guardianship and the development of legislation and protocols in various states. Richard is a frequent lecturer on the issues in which he practices and on ethics and professionalism and is sought after to speak in all geographic areas.
A renowned champion for equal justice and pro bono legal services, Richard is the 2019 recipient of The Florida Bar Foundation’s Medal of Honor. Other honors include the Dade County Bar Association’s Legacy Award, the Tobias Simon Pro Bono Services Award presented by the Florida Supreme Court, as well as other national and state recognitions. In his honor, The Dade County Bar Association established an award designated the “Richard C. Milstein Award of Excellence.”
- J.D., University of Miami School of Law, 1973
- A.B., University of Miami, 1968, cum laude
- A.A., Miami Dade Community College, 1966, with honors
Bar Admissions : Florida
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- American Bar Association Commission on Law and Aging, Commissioner, 2010-2013
- Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts, Trust Board of Directors, Member; Executive Committee, Member; Evaluation and Compensation Committee, Member; By-Laws Committee, Member; Legacy Committee, Chair; Assistant Treasurer 2012
- American Bar Association, House of Delegates, 1990-1993
- Dade County Bar Association, Board of Directors, 2014 – Present
- Academy of Florida Trial Lawyers, Member
- The Florida Bar, Commission on Legal Needs of Children; Supreme Court Commission on Guardianship Monitoring; Real Property; Probate and Trust Law Sections; Probate and Guardianship Law Committees; Elder Law Section, Past Chair; Elder Law Certification Committee; Council of Sections, Past Chair, 2003-2004
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Member
- Florida Association for Women Lawyers, Member
- Florida Bar Ethics Committee, Member
- Miami-Dade Chamber of Commerce, Member, Trustee
- National LGBT Bar Association, Member
- National Association of Elder Law Attorneys, Member
- Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts, Board of Directors, Secretary
- New Leaders Council Miami, Mentor
Rate : $$$