Richard F. Seiden is a partner and health care business lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP. His practice focuses on all aspects of health care business counseling, including formation of business entities, general business and financing matters, and mergers and acquisitions.
He has supervised many of the firm’s major Southern California transactions involving mergers and acquisitions, and has participated in a number of venture capital, commercial, and tax-exempt financing transactions.
He is a member of the Health Care Industry Team and Transactional & Securities and Health Care Finance Practices.
Mr. Seiden serves as outside general counsel to major nonprofit hospital systems, advising and assisting them in the development of regional integrated delivery systems that are positioned to operate in a managed care environment.
He also has been instrumental in creating a variety of vehicles for physician investment, including doctor-owned hospitals, medical office buildings, and joint ventures to operate ambulatory surgery centers, diagnostic imaging, sports medicine, and radiation therapy.
Mr. Seiden is a former member of the firm’s Management Committee, and previously served as the managing partner of the firm’s California offices.
- Created a new non-profit hospital operating system to combine the operations of two major academic medical centers.
- Created a common parent for a hospital system and a physician-led medical foundation, and ultimately merged the hospital corporation and the medical foundation.
- Represented the buyer in an affiliation that effectively resulted in the acquisition of assets of a Catholic hospital, through a substitution of the corporate member of the Catholic hospital corporation, with joint board participation, and financial sharing.
- Represented numerous buyers or sellers of hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, physician practices, HMOs, etc.
Mr. Seiden is a graduate of Boalt Hall School of Law, University of California, Berkeley (J.D., 1974) and the University of Pennsylvania (B.A., magna cum laude, 1971), where he was Phi Beta Kappa.
Admissions and Professional Memberships :
Mr. Seiden is a member of the American Bar Association, the Los Angeles County Bar Association, and the American Health Lawyers Association. He was admitted to the California Bar in 1974.
Representative Matters :
- Foley represented Care 1st Health Plan, a California Medicaid and Managed Care HMO, and its shareholders in the share of stock to Blue Shield of a California for $1.2 Billion.
- Foley handled the sale of an HMO to Tenet Healthcare.
- Minority shareholders in owner of hospital asserted that directors engaged in self-dealing and retaliation and sought corporate records in searchable electronic format and documents regarding specific corporate transactions.
- Represented Care1st Health Plan, the buyer of substantially all of the assets of WattsHealth Foundation, Inc., a non-profit health maintenance organization (Watts), in Watts’s Chapter 11 case for $30 million, including the assumption of certain liabilities.
- This case presented complex issues of bankruptcy law and health law involving negotiations with the California Attorney General’s office and the Department of Managed Health Care.
- We presented hospital’s interests in petition for writ of mandate filed against corporate directors seeking various court orders relating to these requests, all of which were denied by court. Health care litigation/shareholder dispute.
Rate : $$$