Richard G. Small has represented a broad base of clients ranging from buyout and venture capital firms, large manufacturing and service companies, financial services companies, governmental agencies and technology-driven start-up and established companies. His clients have been publicly traded and privately owned companies.
For an extended period of time more recently, Richard has been principally focused on handling sophisticated transaction work while serving as counsel to a number of midmarket and lower midmarket private equity firms and companies backed by private equity firms.
In such capacity he has led deal teams handling numerous mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, leveraged recapitalizations, debt and equity financings, joint ventures, mezzanine financings and venture capital investments (early and late stage) as both company counsel and investor counsel. He has also represented numerous management teams in connection with such transactions.
Representative Experience :
Richard’s transaction experience include representation of various parties in connection with the following matters:
- Platform acquisitions by private equity firms from founder-sellers, other private equity firms and strategic sellers (public and private) of product lines and divisions
- Follow on acquisitions by companies controlled by private equity firms
- Sales and other liquidity events by founder-sellers and private equity firms to strategic acquirors and other private equity firms
- Management team representation at all stages of private equity investment including initial acquisition, ongoing company events and liquidity events
- Dividend and other like recapitalizations
The transaction sizes are, in most instances, in the range of $50 million to $500 million in transaction value. The industries involved have been varied and have included construction, food, medical device, radio and television, retail restaurant, aerospace and defense, consumer products and manufacturing and distribution of many products.
Professional Affiliations :
- Member, Rhode Island Bar Association
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, Boston Bar Association
- Member, Association for Corporate Growth, Boston Chapter
- LL.M., Taxation, Boston University School of Law, 1979
- J.D., Case Western Reserve University School of Law, 1976
- B.A., Williams College, 1973
Admissions : Rhode Island; Massachusetts
Rate : $$$