Rick Matthews concentrates his practice on intellectual property matters including patent, trademark, copyright, trade secret, licensing and related litigation. He has represented companies in intellectual property disputes in over 40 states, including as a first-chair trial attorney and in bet-the-company litigation.
He has extensive experience in handling every aspect of litigation through trial and appeal. His cases have spanned federal courts across the country and before the ITC, TTAB, Federal Circuit and Supreme Court.
Rick is licensed to practice law in North Carolina, Virginia and the District of Columbia, and he is registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Rick received a B.S. in chemistry with a focus in biochemistry from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, a J.D. from the Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law and a Masters of Law degree in intellectual property law from the George Washington University Law School.
He clerked in the ITC’s Office of Unfair Import Investigation, focusing on Section 337 patent cases. In addition, he interned at the U.S. Court of Federal Claims for the Honorable Judge Susan G. Braden.
- American Intellectual Property Law Association – Membership Committee Board Member; Former NLC-CLE Subcommittee Founder and Chair; Former NLC Vice-Chair
- North Carolina Bar Association, IP Section – Ethics Committee co-chair, Litigation Committee – co-chair
- Federal Bar Association
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- American Bar Association, IP Section
- International Trade Commission Trial Lawyers Association
- Association of University Technology Managers
- Eastern District of North Carolina’s Local Patent Rules Committee, Member
- George Washington University School of Law (LL.M., Intellectual Property), 2004
- Campbell University School of Law (J.D.), 2004
- Campbell Law Observer, Editor-in-Chief and Case Law Editor
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (B.S., Chemistry, Biochemistry Focus), 1999
- American Chemical Society Freshman Chemistry Achievement Award
Rate : $$$