Richard Wells is a partner in Baker McKenzie’s Intellectual Property Practice Group. Mr. Wells has over 15 years of experience practicing intellectual property law with a focus in the patent area, including due diligence, prosecution, counseling and litigation.
Prior to rejoining the Firm, Mr. Wells served as intellectual property counsel for WesternGeco, a subsidiary of Schlumberger, in Oslo, Norway. In that role, Mr. Wells managed a global patent portfolio of several hundred patents and routinely advised on competitive decision making with an intellectual property angle.
Mr. Wells has extensive patent litigation experience, both in asserting and defending against patent infringement claims, in federal district court and before the International Trade Commission. He also routinely appears before the Patent Trials and Appeals Board to assert or defend against inter partes review of patents.
Mr. Wells’ practice is also focused on patent due diligence, prosecution and counseling matters, particularly in the medical device, oilfield, heavy industry and electrical areas. In that regard, Mr. Wells regularly handles patent due diligence and valuation assessments of potential acquisition targets and investment opportunities.
He further provides clearance evaluations on new products entering markets worldwide, including preparation of patent-related opinions. He also has vast experience handling the drafting and negotiation of technology related agreements, including joint development and licensing agreements.
- University of Houston Law Center (J.D. cum laude) (2001)
- University of Texas at Austin (B.S. Mechanical Engineering) (1998)
- District of Columbia~United States (2014)
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office~United States (2002)
- Texas~United States (2001)
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Federal Circuit Bar Association – Member
- State Bar of Texas – Member
- United States Patent and Trademark Office – Member
Representative Legal Matters:
- Representing a streaming media company in defending against patent infringement claims in the District of New Jersey.
- Representing an electronics retailer in defending against patent infringement claims in the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Representing an oilfield services company in asserting multiple patents and trade secrets misappropriation in the Southern District of Texas.
- Successfully asserted inter partes review challenge resulting in a favorable settlement for a handset manufacturer.
- Successfully defended patent infringement claims brought against an electronics retailer at the International Trade Commission.
Rate : $$$$