Risë B. Norman is a Partner at Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP in the Firm’s Corporate Department, where she represents a broad range of corporations, investment banks and other financial institutions engaged in capital markets transactions involving initial public offerings, follow-on equity offerings, high yield and investment grade debt offerings and restructurings, as well as in mergers and acquisitions and leveraged buyout transactions.
She also advises such clients with respect to corporate governance, securities laws and general corporate matters. Risë has advised, among others, The Hershey Company, Peabody Energy Corporation, TRW Automotive and Unisys Corporation. She has also represented:
- Vanguard Health Systems and its majority shareholder, Blackstone, in its initial public offering and NYSE Listing and $350 million debt offering
- ITC Holdings Corp. and its majority shareholders, and KKR and Trimaran, in its initial public offering and NYSE Listing and $267 million debt offering
In addition, Risë represents major investment banking firms in public and private offerings of equity and debt securities. She recently represented:
- Underwriters in secondary offerings of common stock by SBA Communications Corporation
- Initial purchasers in debt offerings by SBA Communications Corporation and its wholly owned subsidiary, SBA Telecommunications, Inc.
- Underwriters in debt offerings by The Ryland Group, Inc.
- Underwriters in a $2.0 billion debt offering by Bristol-Myers Squibb Company in addition to other transactions
Risë became a member of Simpson Thacher in 1998. From June 1997 to November 1997, she practiced in the Firm’s Hong Kong office.
Risë is a former member of the Securities Regulation Committee, a former member of the Financial Reporting Committee of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York, and a current member of the Business Law Section of the American Bar Association.
She sits on the Board of Visitors of Stanford Law School, was the Area Enrollment Director for the Dartmouth Alumni Association of New York, and is a member of the Executive Committee of the Lawyers Division of the UJA-Federation. In June 2016, Risë participated in the Inaugural Women in Law Hackathon, a competition created by the Diversity Lab in collaboration with Stanford Law School and Bloomberg Law, to generate innovative ideas and solutions that will lead to greater retention and advancement of experienced women in law firms.
Risë was named a recommended lawyer by The Legal 500 United States for her capital markets work and a 2013 BTI Client Service All-Star by BTI Consulting Group for delivering superior client service to Fortune 1000 clients. She has also been recognized by Super Lawyers 2013 – 2018.
Risë received her A.B., magna cum laude, in 1985 from Dartmouth College where she was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. She earned her J.D. from Stanford Law School in 1988 where she was an Articles Editor for the Stanford Law Review. From 1988 to 1989, Risë was a Law Clerk to the Hon. Jesse E. Eschbach, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
- Stanford Law School, 1988 J.D.
- Stanford Law Review, Articles Editor 1987–1988
- Dartmouth College, 1985 A.B.
- magna cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York, Former Member, Securities Regulation Committee
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York, Former Member, Financial Reporting Committee
- American Bar Association, Member, Section of Business Law
- Dartmouth Alumni Association of New York, Former Area Enrollment Director
- UJA–Federation, Chair, Executive Committee, Lawyers Division
- New York 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit 1989
Rate : $$$