Mr. Robert S. Beall is a partner in the Firm’s Orange County office. He currently serves as a member of the Firm’s Executive Committee and as the Firm’s Co-Managing Partner. Mr. Beall previously served as Practice Group Leader for the Firm’s Business Trials Practice Group.
Mr. Beall specializes in complex civil litigation and intellectual property disputes, with emphasis in unfair competition, securities, trade secret, patent and professional liability litigation. Mr. Beall represents many major clients including U.S. Bancorp, LendingTree Loans, Comerica Bank, Extra Space Storage, American Megatrends, Inc., Taylor Made Golf Company, Inc. and Adidas.
Mr. Beall has extensive experience handling large class action lawsuits, including class actions filed under Business and Professions Code Section 17200 and 17500 and general business litigation matters in a wide range of areas with specific expertise in the areas of class action lawsuits, financial institutions and mortgage industry clients, including TILA, RESPA, privacy and false advertising claims.
Mr. Beall served as counsel on the County of Orange Securities Litigation matters which resulted in nearly $900 million in recoveries for the County in connection with the In Re County of Orange bankruptcy proceeding. Mr. Beall also has significant expertise in handling accountant malpractice actions.
Mr. Beall successfully defended VirtualTourist.com in a major arbitration against Internet Brands, Inc. involving claims asserted against Virtual Tourist arising out of an unsuccessful M&A transaction. Internet Brands sought damages of 17 million. The arbitrator at JAMS issued a defense verdict in favor of Virtual Tourist on all causes of action.
- In 2012, Mr. Beall successfully defeated class certification in a putative nationwide class action alleging false advertising against Lending Tree Loans/Home Loan Center.
- Successfully defended Pacific Mercantile Bank, defeating class certification in a nationwide class action alleging violations of the Truth-in-Lending Act.
- Represented LaSalle Business Credit in a breach of contract/fraud claim against Chinatrust Bank which resulted in a verdict against Chinatrust Bank in excess of $20 million after a 30 day jury trial.
- Represented Pacific Mercantile Bank in a nationally watched class action in California involving the right to class wide rescission for alleged violations of the Truth in Lending Act. The class wide rescission claims were dismissed at the trial court level and the appellate court upheld the decision in a published decision Laliberte v. Pacific Mercantile Bank.
- Represented Comerica Bank in connection with amount malpractice action arising out of $50 million loan fraud. Obtained a significant recovery through mediation of the dispute prior to trial.
- J.D., University of Southern California, 1987
- B.A., University of California, Los Angeles, 1984
- Harvard Business School Leadership Training Program
- Orange County
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Central District Court for the Southern, Central, and Northern Districts of California
Rate : $$$$