Robert E. Bloch’s litigation practice focuses on the defense of major national corporations, non-profit entities, and corporate officials in criminal and civil investigations before the Antitrust Division of the US Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission for price fixing, bid rigging, boycotts, pricing and marketing policies, and mergers.
He also defends companies in private class action litigation in federal and state courts. Bob also served as the firm’s Global Antitrust practice leader. Bob was antitrust counsel in several multi-billion dollar mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures.
He has represented clients in the health care, airline, banking, defense logistics, food additives, semiconductor, motion picture, pharmaceutical, recording, music publishing, hospitality, oil commodities, electrical utility, silicon metal, newspaper, rock salt, and waste management industries. And, he has served as antitrust counsel to academic medical centers and universities.
Prior to working for Mayer Brown, Bob worked for almost 18 years at the US Department of Justice Antitrust Division, first as a trial attorney, then as the Assistant Chief for the Trial Section and the Litigation I Section, and finally as Chief of the Professions and Intellectual Property Section. Prior to working for the Department of Justice, he served as an Assistant Attorney General in the Antitrust Section of the Ohio Attorney General’s Office.
- The George Washington University Law School, JD, with honors
- Franklin and Marshall College, BA
- District of Columbia
- US Supreme Court
- US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- District of Columbia Bar Association: Steering Committee, Antitrust and Consumer Law Section (2003-2009)
- American Health Lawyers Association, Vice Chair, Antitrust Substantive Law Committee (1999-2001)
- Board of Editors, Antitrust Report (Matthew Bender & Co.)
- Advisory Board, Antitrust & Trade Regulation Report (Bureau of National Affairs; Bloomberg BNA 2002-2016)
- Member, Washington Lawyers Committee, United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
- Represented Vantage Health Plan in a monopolization case in BRFHH Shreveport, L.L.C. d/b/a University Health Shreveport and Vantage Health Plan, Inc. v. Willis-Knighton Medical Center d/b/a Willis-Knighton Health System (W.D. Louisiana).
- Defended Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide, Inc. in 31 civil antitrust class actions in In re Orbitz Worldwide, Inc. Price Fixing Litigation (N.D. Texas).
- Defended Blue Shield of California in Rheumatology Diagnostics Laboratory, Inc. et al v. Aetna et al (N. D.Cal) in an exclusive dealing antitrust case.
- Defended UnitedHealth Group Incorporated against boycott allegations in Heartland Surgical Specialty Hospital, LLC v. Midwest Division, Inc., et al. (D. Kansas).
- Served as antitrust counsel in Hoechst’s $7 billion acquisition of Marion Merrill Dow on behalf of Dow.
- Served as antitrust counsel in United Healthcare’s $2.6 billion acquisition of Sierra Health Services, Inc. on behalf of United.
Rate : $$$$