Mr. Robert C. Brady, an experienced trial lawyer and appellate practitioner, is the current Chair of the New Jersey State Bar Association’s Franchise Practices Committee. He is a thoughtful appellate advocate and a down-in-the-trenches litigator who prides himself on his written work product and oral advocacy skills before both federal and state trial courts and appellate panels.
Mr. Brady has a particular emphasis representing large franchisors and licensors in commercial disputes, trademark litigation, and enforcement of franchise and license agreement obligations. Additionally, he has extensive experience in litigation involving covenants not to compete and confidentiality provisions. He often litigates matters involving partnership and shareholder disputes, including oppression and dissenter’s rights cases.
Mr. Brady represents large corporations and individuals in virtually all aspects of complex commercial litigation in both state and federal courts throughout the region. Recent representations have included, inter alia:
- defending large national franchisors in defense of claims brought by former franchisees and employees of franchisees;
- defending shareholders in a closely held corporation valued at more than $70 million from claims of minority shareholder oppression;
- representing a number of electric utilities and power generators in a challenge to New Jersey’s Long Term Capacity Agreement Pilot Program on the basis of various constitutional claims including field preemption, conflict preemption, and violation of the dormant commerce clause; and
- defending the City of Newark in constitutional challenge to municipal ordinances enacted pursuant to the New Jersey Economic Stimulus Act.
Mr. Brady is a Master in the John C. Lifland American Inn of Court. He serves as an adjunct professor of law at Seton Hall University School of Law, where he teaches appellate advocacy. Mr. Brady regularly speaks at continuing legal education seminars on issues related to franchise law and civil procedure and is the Vice President of Governance of the University of Massachusetts Alumni Association.
- Temple University James E. Beasley School of Law (LL.M., Trial Advocacy)
- Seton Hall University School of Law (J.D.)
- Associate Editor, Seton Hall Legislative Journal
- Member, Moot Court Board
- Villanova University (M.A.)
- University of Massachusetts – Amherst(B.A., cum laude)
- State of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States District Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Seton Hall University School of Law
- Adjunct Professor, 2003-Present
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Chairman, Section on Franchise Law, 2013
- University of Massachusetts Amherst Alumni Association, 2012-Present
- Vice President of Governance, 2015-Present
- Association of the Federal Bar of the State of New Jersey
Rate : $$$