Robert A. Caplen’s extensive experience in the federal court system enables him to address client needs efficiently and effectively. He focuses on antitrust litigation and counseling as well as complex commercial and appellate litigation.
Robert represents a wide array of domestic and international companies, and individuals, in various civil matters. His clients have included foreign manufacturers of electronic parts and components, members of the aerospace industry, oil and gas companies, transportation companies, and local District of Columbia businesses.
He has also litigated civil disputes in both federal and state court on behalf of individuals.
Prior to joining Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP, Robert held two clerkships. The first was as a career law clerk to the Honorable Margaret M. Sweeney at the US Court of Federal Claims. Following that, he clerked for the Honorable Mary H. Murguia at the US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
During his career in public service, Robert worked on a diverse range of civil and criminal appeals, and has substantial experience with all facets of Tucker Act litigation in the Court of Federal Claims.
An experienced writer and advocate, Robert is admitted to practice in five states as well as the Supreme Court of the United States; the US Court of Appeals for the First, Sixth, Ninth, Eleventh, and Federal Circuits; the US District Courts for the District of Columbia and Eastern and Middle Districts of North Carolina; and the US Court of Federal Claims.
He has written numerous briefs, and his legal scholarship has been cited in casebooks, treatises and leading law reviews and journals.
- Representing antitrust amnesty applicant in Department of Justice criminal investigation of pricing practices.
- Representing local District of Columbia business in federal litigation over property rights.
- Defended leading Japanese manufacturers in multidistrict putative price fixing class actions.
- Represented leading Japanese manufacturer in Department of Justice criminal antitrust investigation of pricing practices.
- Represented leading Japanese manufacturer in price fixing class action.
- Settled appeal of a Fifth Amendment takings claim in the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
- Represented a claimant in a breach of contract action in the United States Court of Federal Claims.
- Represented a Federal Tort Claims Act claimant in appellate proceedings at the Supreme Court of the United States and United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit.
- Defended aerospace company in an action by a competitor challenging an exclusive supply agreement as an unreasonable restraint of trade under Sections 1 and 2 of the Sherman Act.
- Defended a major energy company in a United States Department of Justice and federal agency investigation.
- Represented consumers in state court breach of contract and deceptive trade practices litigation.
- Represented energy companies in spent nuclear fuel litigation before the United States Court of Federal Claims and Federal Circuit.
- JD, University of Florida, cum laude; Articles Editor, Florida Law Review; Executive Research Editor, University of Florida Journal of Law & Public Policy; Board Member, Florida Journal of International Law, 2005
- MA, History, Boston University, 2001
- BA, History and Music, Boston University, summa cum laude with Distinction in History, Phi Beta Kappa, 2001
- District of Columbia
- North Carolina
- US Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- US Court of Federal Claims
- Board Member, Federal Bar Association D.C. Chapter
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- Member, Court of Federal Claims Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association, Antitrust Law Division Section
Rate : $$$$