Robert F. Carangelo is a partner in Weil’s Litigation Department and a member of the Securities Litigation practice. He focuses on complex commercial, securities, accounting and corporate matters at the trial and appellate levels, criminal and regulatory investigations by the SEC, DOJ, FINRA, FCIC, New York Attorney General’s Office, and other federal, state and foreign regulators, and counseling boards of directors and board committees on disclosure issues, fiduciary duties and corporate governance, and internal and governmental investigations.
Mr. Carangelo has extensive experience defending class actions, including securities fraud litigations in both state and federal courts.
As part of Mr. Carangelo’s nationwide litigation and counseling practice, he has represented industry-leading corporations and financial institutions such as American International Group, Inc., Arthur Andersen LLP, Comverse Technology, Merrill Lynch, the New York Stock Exchange, Verizon Communications Inc., United Health Group, General Motors Corporation’s Audit Committee, and the Special Committee of the Board of Directors of Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, Inc.
His notable matters include the ongoing representation of AIG in myriad investigations and class and derivative litigation arising out of the financial crisis, and the successful defense of accountant malpractice claims asserted against Arthur Andersen by a Trustee in Bankruptcy on summary judgment, upheld by the Second Circuit.
Other representative experience includes:
- Representing the former CEO and CFO of Central European Distribution Corporation in connection with ongoing securities class action litigations and regulatory and audit committee investigations;
- Serving as co-lead counsel for special committee of outside directors investigating allegations of wrongdoing and responding to derivative litigations. Final report issued on August 9, 2005;
- Representing Arthur Andersen in defense of purported class action on behalf of purchasers of The Bennett Funding Group securities issued pursuant to alleged Ponzi scheme. Defeated motion for certification of class of purchasers of hundreds of millions of dollars of defaulted notes and securities. Obtained favorable settlement after motion for class certification was denied without leave to replead;
- Serving as co-lead counsel for Verizon Communications in commercial dispute involving $40 million lease guaranty. After filing motion to dismiss, the case was settled on terms favorable to Verizon;
Mr. Carangelo has litigated and supervised numerous pro bono matters. He is a member of the Firm’s Nominating Committee, and is also the Chairman of the Board of Health for the Town of Greenwich. Mr. Carangelo is also a member of the Board of Trustees at Brunswick School.
Mr. Carangelo received his B.A. from Fairfield University and received his J.D., cum laude, from New York Law School, where he was managing editor of the New York Law School Law Review and a member of the Moot Court Executive Board.
- US Court of Appeals 2nd Cir.
- US Court of Appeals 4th Cir.
- US Court of Appeals 9th Cir.
- Connecticut State Bar
- US Court Federal Claims
- US Court of Appeals DC Cir.
- Eastern District New York
- US Ct App Federal Circuit
- Northern District New York
- New York State
- Southern District New York
- US Supreme Court
- Fairfield University (B.A., 1988)
- New York Law School (J.D., cum laude, 1991)
Rate : $$$