Robert (Bob) McLaughlin has significant experience under the federal securities laws and as a general corporate lawyer. He advises clients in connection with public offerings, private placements, proxy statements, tender offers, and other public company periodic reporting issues.
He also assists clients in structuring and restructuring business entities as corporations, partnerships, limited partnerships, limited liability companies, and limited liability partnerships.
Bob represents both buyers and sellers in merger and/or acquisition transactions and in buying and selling assets, including real estate. He advises venture capital companies in connection with portfolio investments and represents other businesses in need of financing.
Bob also counsels directors, officers, and other fiduciaries concerning the duties and obligations of their respective offices. Before joining Steptoe, Bob served first as a financial analyst, and later as an attorney advisor and assistant branch chief, Division of Corporation Finance, Securities and Exchange Commission.
In addition, he has lectured on the federal securities laws, and acted as a Public Arbitrator for the National Association of Securities Dealers, Inc., the predecessor of the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA).
- American Bar Association, Section of Business Law, Federal Regulation of Securities Committee
- American Bar Association, Section of Business Law, Committee on Middle Market and Small Business; Past Chair, Subcommittee on Financing (1990-1995)
- National Lawyers Association
- Director, Attorneys’ Liability Assurance Society, Ltd. (ALAS Ltd.) and Attorneys’ Liability Assurance Society, Inc., a member-owned lawyers professional liability insurance company and its Vermont Risk Retention Group subsidiary (1986-2008)
- Past Chair, Board of Directors, ALAS Investment Services Limited, the investment subsidiary of ALAS Ltd.
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 1965, Graduated 11 out of 121
- B.S., Iowa State University, 1960
Rate : $$$