Robert R. Elliott’s practice focuses on patent prosecution and litigation as well as providing advice in disputes involving the protection of enforcement of rights in patents, trademarks, copyrights, confidential information and trade secrets, technology, covenants not to compete, and other intellectual property.
Rob has drafted, prosecuted and counseled on patents for a variety of sophisticated clients, including both large institutional clients (e.g., Mizuno Corp.) and solo inventors, with an emphasis on the mechanical arts such as automotive, aeronautical and defense technologies.
He also has experience in trademark, trade dress and copyright law, particularly trade dress. He has obtained protection for more than 200 patents, design patents, trademarks and trade dress for a wide variety of clients.
In addition, Rob has successfully prosecuted multiple key patent assets to allowance in less than 12 months using USPTO Track One Prioritized Examination, and has drafted and filed patents in multiple post-allowance proceedings, including in inter partes reviews at the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB).
Prior to attending engineering and law school, Rob was the general manager at Massey Automotive, the largest privately owned automotive repair facility in the Atlanta area. Rob gained extensive hands-on mechanical, business and management experience and doubled revenues in five years.
Representative Matters :
- Successfully argued before the Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences to overturn all examiner rejections.
- Provided review and due diligence for a $950 million acquisition.
- Drafting, prosecuting and enforcing multiple patents and design patents for a privately owned small business in the Eastern District Court of Virginia; assisted the business in obtaining a consent judgment and permanent injunction.
Professional and Community Involvement :
- Former President and President Emeritus, Georgia Tech Bar Association
- Member, Georgia Bar Association
- Member, Forum Committee on Air and Space Law, Section of Intellectual Property Law, Section of Litigation, Section of Science and Technology Law, American Bar Association
- Member, Ride for Kids
- Member, Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation
- George Washington University Law School, J.D., 2008
- Georgia Institute of Technology, B.S., with honor, 2004, Aerospace Engineering
BAR ADMISSIONS : Georgia, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
Rate : $$$