Robert Kohlman focuses on complex marital and family law cases, as well as civil litigation. His practice areas include divorce, paternity, alimony/spousal support and child support, division of marital assets and liabilities, custody issues, modification proceedings, civil litigation, as well as drafting pre- and post-nuptial agreements.
Much of his practice involves international clients or international legal issues, such as the complexities of multi-country litigation or the return of kidnapped children under The Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction.
Robert has tried more than 140 cases in both State and Federal Court and has extensive appellate experience. He has argued cases at the Florida Second, Third, Fourth and Fifth District Courts of Appeal, as well as before the Federal 11th Circuit Court of Appeals. Robert’s more than 23 years of trial and appellate experience in state and federal courts also strengthens Buchanan’s commercial litigation, appellate and arbitration capabilities in Miami.
Robert prides himself on his legal knowledge. He is the type of lawyer who will out research opposing counsel, but one who also listens to the judge and can pivot to another legal theory when necessary. He understands that his clients are going through one of the most difficult times in their lives and is able to empathize with them.
He has a reputation for always being prepared, be it for a deposition, a hearing, a mediation or a trial. At the start of his career, his mentor told him, “Never be afraid to go to court. Most lawyers are.” This advice has served Robert well, both inside and outside the courtroom.
- Florida State University College of Law, J.D., 1994, Order of the Coif, Executive Editor, Law Review, Florida State University College of Law
- Notes and Comments Editor, Law Review, Florida State University College of Law
- Intern, Florida Supreme Court, Justice Major Harding
- Intern, Florida House of Representatives, Committee on Criminal Justice
- Lobbyist, Commission on Juvenile Justice
- University of Missouri, Bachelor of Journalism, 1987, Journalism
- Member, Family Law and Appellate Law Sections, The Florida Bar
- Member, Collaborative Family Law Institute
- Founding Member, BNI Biscayne Connections. His past positions include: President, Visitor Host Chair, Ethics & Challenges Advisor for the Membership Committee, Educational Coordinator and Chapter Ambassador.
Rate : $$$