Robert L. Hails possesses a depth of knowledge and skill regarding patent prosecution and litigation, with more than 20 years of experience representing clients in patent matters. His work includes infringement defense and patent procurement, with particular strength in electrical engineering disciplines such as computer architectures, integrated circuit designs, pixel design, and image and audio coding systems.
Bob is an adept “engineering storyteller,” able to explain complex technical subject matter in clear terms to judges, juries and patent examiners, which allows them to assess the patents’ core purposes in an intuitive manner.
- Defended an inter partes review win at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, which involved defense of the America Invents Act on constitutional grounds.
- Defending a client in district court against infringement claims involving wafer-thinning manufacturing techniques (ongoing).
- Represented online fantasy sports leagues in district court litigation enforcing a patent involving an online fantasy game.
- Represented a client in International Trade Commission proceedings defending its computers, laptops and printers over infringement claims involving flash memory card interfaces.
- Represented a client in a United States Patent and Trademark Office inter partes review of a patent involving flash memory controllers. All challenged claims were canceled.
- Represents clients in response to monetization efforts from patent enforcement entities, both nonpracticing entities and companies with large research and development expenditures.
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- J.D., The George Washington University Law School, 1993, with Honors
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, University of Maryland, 1990
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Registration No. 39,702
- District of Columbia
Rate : $$$$