Robert Haney is a partner in the New York office with 30 years of experience litigating complex commercial disputes including conducting arbitrations, jury trials, bench trials, and mediations for major corporations (JPMorgan Chase, UBS, Verizon, USA Networks, and Linear Technology) as well as small and mid-sized financial and technology firms (Rockefeller & Co., Clinton Group, Broadstreet Group, Interworld, America First).
While experienced in the full range of business and financial disputes, Mr. Haney has particular proficiency conducting arbitrations and trials involving the departure of senior executives and partners, trade secrets and securities and consumer class actions.
- Harvard Law School
- Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government, M.P.P.
- Middlebury College, B.A.
Bar Admissions : New Jersey, New York.
Representative Matters :
- Defending the Board and offices of Linear Technology Corp. in six derivative actions related to the Company’s stock option granting practices over a 10 year period.
- Representing the co-founder of a major private equity firm in obtaining a settlement of his lawsuit and derivative action alleging breach of fiduciary duties and breach of contract in Delaware Chancery Court. The action was settled on the first day of trial after accelerated discovery and the settlement allowed Covington’s client to regain control of the business he had founded.
- Representing one of the world’s leading private equity firms in pursuing legal malpractice claims against a major law firm.
- In MECH v. Ledgemont et al., Mr. Haney succeeded on behalf of the firm’s client in regaining control of an investment fund and then conducted a three day trial in Delaware Chancery Court against Ledgemont and its principals to recover $3 million in allegedly misappropriated funds. The trial was completed but the decision was delayed as a result of Ledgmont’s bankruptcy.
- In an ICC arbitration, Mr. Haney obtained a $20 million settlement at the conclusion of the hearing for his client, the former vice chair of a major investment bank, who had asserted partnership and contractual claims.
- For UBS, Mr. Haney defeated $20 million in claims by two former senior brokers in a 26 session FINRA arbitration.
- In an AAA arbitration, Mr. Haney represented one of the world’s largest banks in a dispute with a major retailer concerning a co-branded credit card agreement and obtained a very favorable settlement.
Memberships and Affiliations :
- Steering Group, ABA International Arbitration Committee
- ABA Committee on Employment Law
- International Bar Association, International Arbitration Committee
Rate : $$$