Robert B.G. Horowitz, a Chambers-rated lawyer, concentrates his practice on intellectual property law with a focus on trademark counseling, prosecution and litigation, copyright issues, trade secrets and patent infringement matters for hedge funds.
With more than three decades of experience, Red fully understands his clients’ needs and concerns and delivers quick service to resolve problems and enable clients to quickly make well-informed decisions.
Red’s proficiency in the area of trademark law has given him the opportunity to lecture at bar associations and foreign intellectual property law associations, as well as present an online CLE course in trademark law. He also has lectured about the Defend Trade Secrets Act, which became law in May 2016.
- Brought the first case in the United States where a patent owner of perfume bottle designs asserted its design patents to stop the importation of “grey goods.” Due to the structuring of the patent ownership, defeated a motion for summary judgment based on first sale abroad by a foreign trademark owner.
- Monitored patent infringement litigation for a hedge fund client that invested in a high-tech company, providing real-time information to the client about a trial in the Northern District of California. The client received a jury verdict within minutes of it being delivered, which enabled the client to act quickly in foreign markets and maximize investment in a party to the litigation before others could so do.
- Invoked the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) against a Vietnamese concern that had copied the entire online database of a client. The Vietnamese infringer disputed the DMCA claim, which resulted in a copyright infringement lawsuit being commenced despite the client’s lack of existing copyright registration. The lawsuit was successful.
- Asserted the rights of a major retailing client in New York City in a case alleging infringement of a corporation name used in a domain name. Obtained permanent injunction against the domain name infringer.
- MARQUES (the Association of European Trade Mark Owners)
- International Trademark Association
- European Communities Trade Marks Association
- Federal Bar Council (2015 to 2016)
- Association Internationale pour la Protection de la Propriété Intellectuelle: Working Questions (2009 to 2011)
Community : American Australian Association: Business Council Member
- J.D., University of Miami School of Law, 1977
- B.A., Ohio Wesleyan University, 1974
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, 1982
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York, 2002
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York, 1979
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 1978
Rate : $$$$