Robert M. Kaufman’s vast experience in the public and private sectors, and his fifty-six years of legal practice with Proskauer, have given him special depth in the areas of health and hospital law, the law of not-for-profit corporations, multinational corporate law and personal representation.
As a member of the Department of Justice, Antitrust Division, followed by several years in the United States Senate as Legislative Assistant to Senator Javits and as a Senior Economist for the State of New York, Bob brought a broad public policy perspective to Proskauer.
He has helped to change the face of health and hospital law by his work on the restructuring of New York not-for-profit hospital groups and on the legislative development of the New York hospital reimbursement system. He also spearheaded the first large hospital law department in a New York general practice firm.
Bob has been a strategist in major corporate acquisitions in the United States and Canada by the Pirelli Group and was Chairman of the Board of the Pirelli Group’s United States companies in the cable and tire industries. He also was Chairman of the Board of Old Westbury Funds, Inc., a mutual fund group advised by Bessemer Trust Company.
In addition, Bob represented family groups and their personal holding companies for three generations. He was also active in the representation of foundations and other not-for-profit organizations.
In public service, Bob has been President of the New York City Bar Association and the American Judicature Society, as well as Board Chair of the Times Square Business Improvement District and the Fund for Modern Courts, Vice Chair of the New York Community Trust and a director of numerous other not-for-profit organizations.
Bob is the co-editor of the widely praised four-volume Health Care Law Treatise, which was published by Matthew Bender in August, 1991.
- Brooklyn Law School, J.D., 1957
- New York University, M.A., 1954
- Brooklyn College, B.A., 1951
Admissions & Qualifications : New York
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, New York, Southern District
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
- New York City Bar (Past President, Former Executive Committee Chairman)
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- New York Community Trust (Vice Chair)
- American Academy of Hospital Attorneys
- American Economic Association
Government Service :
- Department of Justice, Antitrust Division
- United States Senate, Legislative Assistant to Senator Javits
- Senior Economist, State of New York Division of Housing
- Moynihan And Javits Judicial Selection Committees, Member
- New York Commission on Judicial Conduct, Referee
- New York State Board of Public Disclosure, Past Chair
Rate : $$$