Robert J. Kiggins is a member of our Corporate & General Business and Taxation groups. After 30 years of practice, he has gained extensive experience in corporate finance and tax matters involving securities broker-dealers, investment advisors, investment companies, life insurance companies, hedge funds, medical practice purchases and sales, insurance agencies and bank expansion into insurance and securities fields.
He and several of our other partners focus on helping organize startup companies. Mr. Kiggins also represents a number of closely held businesses in such industries as medicine, dentistry, hospitality, direct mail monitoring and list protection, computer software, insurance agency, securities brokerage, and investment management.
Mr. Kiggin’s corporate and tax practice is international in scope and has involved clients in such diverse countries as Argentina, Brazil, Cyprus, England, Israel, Russia, and South Africa. He is especially familiar with the regulations and compliance imposed on securities broker-dealers, investment advisors, insurance companies and insurance agencies.
Mr. Kiggins is a frequent speaker on tax topics both here and abroad. In addition to his contributions to this firm’s News Blog, he regularly authors and publishes articles on the Internet. He is fluent in English, Spanish and written Portuguese and has served a number of Hispano-American business clients. He has also been a member of the Japan Society, where he has studied intermediate level Japanese.
- New York University, L.L.M., Taxation
- Cornell Law School, J.D.
- Boston College, B.A., History, magna cum laude
- McCarthy Finger, LLP
- Sage Group Ltd. of South Africa and Stamford, CT (U.S. Legal Counsel)
- New York
- New York State Bar Association, Corporate Counsel Section
- Connecticut State Bar Association
- Charter Member of ITSAPT, International Tax and Business Advisory Society
- Corporate Law: Bob’s services in this area include the following: business formations of startup companies and dispositions, contracts and negotiations, securities (public and private placements), mergers and acquisitions and industry regulatory compliance. His representative clients include small to mid-sized capitalization businesses based in the USA, Cyprus, England, the Republic of South Africa and Russia.
- Mergers and Acquisitions: Bob drafts and negotiates requisite documents, assists with regulatory approvals and gives structural and tax advice.
- Securities Placements: Bob can help a business raise capital through a variety of means, including private securities placements or public SEC registered offerings.
- Securities Practice: Bob represents a number of hedge fund, broker-dealer and investment adviser clients. in working with hedge funds, Bob also counsels clients on the appropriate use of third party escrow arrangements as to the legal effectiveness of the hedge fund. The emphasis of the practice is on both transactional and compliance work. His private placement experience includes diverse ventures, such as life settlements, private investment limited partnerships and real estate. Bob has represented clients in regulatory matters involving the SEC, NASD, NYSE and state securities regulators.
- Tax Law: Bob advises clients on taxes in a number of business tax areas including corporate, trusts and estates and partnerships.
Rate : $$$