Robert Ruben focuses his practice on gaming law and transactions involving participants in the gaming industry. For more than 25 years, Mr. Ruben has been handling licensing of casinos, executives and vendors, regulatory investigations, enforcement proceedings, compliance matters and internal investigations, syndicated bank financings, public and private equity and debt offerings, mergers and acquisitions and other change-in-control transactions, and the various issues that arise in the day-to-day operation of a casino.
Mr. Ruben also assists clients in competitive bidding for casino licenses. In addition to casino owners, key employees, construction contractors and other vendors who must be licensed, registered with or certified by gaming regulators, Mr. Ruben’s clients include financial institutions, private equity firms, hedge funds, private investors, and investment bankers that must either be licensed by gaming regulators or obtain waivers from the licensing requirements.
Mr. Ruben has advised clients with respect to gaming issues in numerous jurisdictions, including Nevada, Maryland and Pennsylvania. From 1995 to 2002, Mr. Ruben was a member of the board of directors of MTR Gaming Group, Inc. (Nasdaq GS: MNTG), and from 1999 to 2002 was licensed as a principal by the Nevada Gaming Commission.
- Represented Caesars Entertainment Corporation in obtaining a unanimous approval from the Maryland Lottery and Gaming Control Commission for the merger of Caesars Acquisition Company with and into Caesars Entertainment Corporation.
- Acted as special gaming counsel to Golden Gaming in its merger with Lakes Entertainment, and the related $160 million refinancing of the merged companies to form Golden Entertainment, Inc. (NASDAQ: GDEN).
- Represented Poydras Gaming, LLC, a supplier of slot machines to casinos, in a $30.5 million senior secured credit facility.
- Represented Poydras Gaming Finance Corp. (TSXV-PYD), in its acquisition of 100% of the stock of Integrity Gaming, Inc., Aurora Gaming, Inc. and Integrity Gaming of Kansas, Inc. for approximately $18 million, including, cash, stock, assumed debt, and an earn-out of up to $5 million.
- Represented Sportech-NYX Gaming, LLC, a joint venture between an indirect wholly owned subsidiary of Sportech PLC and a subsidiary of NYX Gaming Group Limited, in negotiating an agreement to provide a new online gaming platform to the Atlantic City-based Resorts Casino Hotel.
- Represented CBAC Gaming, LLC, an affiliate of Caesars Entertainment, in connection with the successful bid and obtaining all necessary licenses for a casino in Baltimore
- Special Pennsylvania Gaming Regulatory Counsel to Presque Isle Downs, Inc. in connection with the issuance of $565 million of senior secured notes
- Represented MTR Gaming Group in connection with its $260 million offering of debt securities
- Represented building contractor in its removal from a state gaming regulator’s prohibited vendor list
- Represented investment banking executive in connection with joining the board of directors of publicly traded gaming company
- The Pennsylvania State University, Dickinson School of Law, J.D., 1986
- University of Virginia, B.A., 1983
- District of Columbia
Professional Activities : District of Columbia Bar Association
Rate : $$$$