Robert G. Levy’s practice encompasses complex insurance coverage and defense litigation on behalf of major commercial general liability and professional liability insurers throughout the United States. Mr. Levy works closely with his clients to implement their goals, advising and assisting them creatively and strategically.
Mr. Levy became of counsel to Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in October 2014 as a result of the merger of Hinshaw and the Los Angeles-based firm of Barger & Wolen LLP.
Representative Matters :
- Obtained the first judgment in California, on behalf of an employment practices liability insurer, that California public policy precluded insurability of class action claims for earned but unpaid overtime wages.
- Served as attorneys’ fee liaison counsel for all defending insurers in the largest dry cleaner environmental cleanup dispute in the United States. Achieved a settlement favorable for the insurers, including modification of the environmental remediation judgment and consent decree.
- Pursued coverage litigation on behalf of related CGL primary and excess insurers having the largest coverage segment of the Southern and Northern California clergy molestation claims.
- Counseled related primary and excess insurers as to appellate and settlement strategy regarding coverage litigation arising out of national MDL class claims for defective home siding. The represented insurers’ exposure exceeded half a billion dollars.
- Defended numerous professional liability actions including claims against lawyers, accountants, real estate agents, and insurance agents.
- Brought and defended numerous co-insurer contribution actions.
Professional Affiliations : The State Bar of California, Member
- J.D., Cleveland State University, Cleveland Marshall College of Law,1976
- A.B., Oberlin College, 1972
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
Rate : $$$$