Robert D. Miller is chair of Locke Lord’s Public Law section. Listed for Government Relations Law and named one of the Top 3 lobbyists in Texas by Capitol Inside, he has demonstrated his skill and dedication by lobbying local, state, and federal governments on behalf of public and private concerns for more than twenty-five years.
One of his greatest contributions was helping to keep the Houston Astros in Houston by contributing to the creation of a Sports Authority, which led to the construction of a retractable roof stadium. Robert also has held numerous leadership positions in civic organizations, including serving as Chairman of the Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County, Texas.
Representative Experience :
- Represented the Houston Astros Baseball Club in drafting and lobbying passage of legislation creating a Sports Authority and authorizing the levying of taxes on car rentals and hotel rooms to fund the construction of a new retractable roof baseball stadium in Houston, Texas. Thereafter, participated in the negotiation of the development, construction and financing documents with the Sports Authority and obtained City and County approval of the deal.
- Represent a major distributor of automobiles to design a comprehensive five-state government relations program in order to increase the client’s political visibility and business influence in its distribution region. Handle the client’s lobbying needs in Texas, and coordinate and monitor the work done by lobbyists in the other four states.
- Represented one of the country’s largest freight railroads in the proposed new construction of a rail line in Harris County. Addressed community and environmental concerns and managed public opinion, while at the same time seeking the necessary governmental and regulatory approvals.
- Handle all of the legislative needs of the City of Dallas police and fire pension system and the City of Houston municipal, police and fire pension systems before the Texas Legislature.
- Served as Chairman of the Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County, Texas on a volunteer basis and spearheaded the approval and development of Houston’s first light rail line.
Professional History :
- Partner, Locke Lord LLP
- Member, Locke Lord LLP Board of Directors
- Legislative Aide to Senator Don Henderson, The 68th Legislature
Professional Affiliations :
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, Houston Bar Association
- J.D., with honors, The University of Texas School of Law, 1985
- B.A., cum laude, Rice University, 1982
Admissions : Texas
Rate : $$$