Robert Mills Kennedy Jr. practices in the area of insurance and reinsurance with a focus on complex insurance coverage, litigation, counseling and insurance defense litigation. He also works in the firm’s labor and employment practice group, representing employer clients in a range of matters throughout North Carolina.
Prior to joining Phelps Dunbar, Mr. Kennedy’s practice concentrated on litigating matters for school boards and their insurers in a variety of areas, including employment, construction and constitutional matters. He also routinely advised school systems on employment and contract matters.
Before attending law school, Mr. Kennedy was a member of Teach For America, a corps of recent college graduates who commit two years to teach in urban and rural public schools. He taught world history and world geography at Louisburg High School in Franklin County, North Carolina.
- University of North Carolina School of Law, J.D., with high honors, 2007; Order of the Coif; Holderness Moot Court Bench
- University of Pennsylvania B.A., magna cum laude, in American History, 2002
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- North Carolina
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of North Carolina
- South Carolina
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association
- University of Pennsylvania Secondary School Committee – Research Triangle Park
- Representing multiple insurers in coverage actions regarding claims against local and state law enforcement for alleged wrongful imprisonment.
- Representing an insurer in coverage action regarding applicability of abuse exclusion to claims against adoption agency following alleged negligent adoptive placement.
- Defended North Carolina energy provider against claims of age and race discrimination in federal court; final judgment was rendered in favor of our client.
- Represented multiple insurers in coverage actions regarding bar fights and applicability assault & battery and intentional injury exclusions.
Rate : $$$