Robert Lewis, a member of the Firm’s Global Employment Practice Group, is listed in the 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009 editions of the New York Super Lawyers. He practices mainly in the areas of international and domestic employment law, including litigation, counseling, arbitration and alternative dispute resolution, as well as international litigation and arbitration.
Mr. Lewis also serves as co-chair of the New York office’s Pro Bono and Community Service Committee, and has long been involved in pro bono and community service activities. He is a member and former co-chair of the New York State Bar Association’s Subcommittee on International Employment and Labor Law and the American Bar Association’s International Law Section.
Mr. Lewis has extensive experience counseling and defending foreign, domestic and multinational employers with respect to the myriad workplace issues arising under US and foreign law in connection with their operations in the US and overseas.
Areas of expertise include all forms of employment discrimination and harassment, retaliation under “whistleblower” statutes and anti-discrimination statutes, wage and hour issues, conducting and supervising investigations of employee (including executive) misconduct, background checks and drug-testing, structuring and drafting ERISA-compliant severance plans, employee privacy issues and drafting and reviewing employee handbooks.
Mr. Lewis also has experience both prosecuting and defending against “employee disloyalty” lawsuits arising from alleged breaches of restrictive covenants, misappropriation of trade secrets and proprietary information, unfair trade practices and breaches of fiduciary duties, by former employees.
Mr. Lewis also counsels employers on legal matters related to the structure and implementation of domestic and international workforce reductions, employment-related issues arising from domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions and developing best employment practices and codes of conduct on a global basis.
- George Washington University (J.D. Honors) (1980)
- University of Connecticut (B.A. cum laude) (1977)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York~United States (1985)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York~United States (1985)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit~United States (1985)
- New York~United States (1984)
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- New York State Bar Association – Committee on International Employment Law
- American Bar Association – International Law Section
Representative Legal Matters;
- Defended a European state-owned airline against claims of age and national origin discrimination by a high-level executive and, subsequently, claims of religion and national origin discrimination and retaliation asserted by US-based in-house general counsel who was involved in handling executive’s discrimination claims.
- Defended a German real estate investment bank against New York-based executive’s claims for breach of contract and fraud arising out of dispute over alleged performance-based bonus formula, as well as constructive discharge, in a case before the American Arbitration Association’s International Centre For Dispute Resolution.
- Defended a New York-based money management firm against terminated executive’s claims for age discrimination, breach of contract and violations of New York Labor Law in a case before American Arbitration Association.
- Advised UK-based private equity firm in connection with claims asserted by employee’s former employer that he was violating restrictive covenants.
- Defended German-based high end fashion designer and manufacturer against claims of sexual harassment by member of Managing Board of German parent asserted by two New York-based female employees.
Rate : $$$