Robert J. Romero is a trial lawyer emphasizing complex commercial matters, products liability, insurance bad faith and professional liability disputes. He has first chaired numerous jury and bench trials throughout California, and has litigated significant matters in Arizona, Oregon, Nevada and Hawaii. He has also served as appellant counsel in a number of reported decisions.
Mr. Romero also acts as counsel to several Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP corporate clients, providing counsel nationwide in high exposure, bet the Company cases, which involve catastrophic loss, extra contractual and punitive exposure. Mr. Romero’s approach is to break the complex down and present it to a jury in a thoughtful, understandable, and relatable manner.
Mr. Romero continues to devote a considerable portion of his practice to the defense of lawyers, insurance and financial brokers, real estate and design professionals. That work, which involves a disciplined approached to the “case within a case” has led to cases in the commercial litigation arena, notably to defense at trial and arbitration on behalf of Fortune 50 clients of the firm.
Moreover, his known skill as a trial lawyer has led to several clients to retain him in catastrophic bodily injury and product liability claims that are unable to be resolved short of trial.
Mr. Romero is the Partner-in-Charge of the San Francisco office, and serves on Hinshaw’s seven member Management Committee, the firm’s principle governing body.
Mr. Romero is a former Legislative Assistant to the Chairman of the California State Assembly Judiciary Committee.
Mr. Romero joined Hinshaw in January 1998.
In 2006, Mr. Romero was elected to the Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel.
Mr. Romero is a member of Claims & Litigation Management Alliance, a nonpartisan alliance comprising thousands of insurance companies, corporations, Corporate Counsel, Litigation and Risk Managers, claims professionals and attorneys.
Representative Matters :
- In January 2014, Mr. Romero obtained a defense verdict in a million dollar fraud, negligence and breach of contract lawsuit, venued in the San Mateo County Superior Court following a three-week trial. The case arose out of various allegations of professional negligence, misrepresentation, and included a claim of punitive damages.
- Successfully defended a national insurer in a breach of contract and insurance bad faith case arising out of sexual molestation case. The case was predicated on various acts of alleged misconduct, which the insured argued constituted “negligent” misconduct. Judgement was obtained on behalf of the insurer defendant, eliminating the potential for tort and punitive damage recovery.
- Obtained a $5 million dollar unanimous jury verdict in Alameda County, California in favor of a International Insurer that was affirmed at the Court of Appeal and satisfied including over $1 million in post judgment interest.
- Unanimous jury verdict in Los Angeles County in favor of insurer sued for breach of contract and negligence.
- Successfully defended international insurer in action filed in California and London, alleging bad faith and breach of contract. Case affirmed by the California Court of Appeal.
- Successfully defended law firm in malpractice allegation arising from mishandling of underlying trademark and patent infringement claims.
- Successfully defended International Financial Institution in Unfair Business Practices and fraud claims.
- Successfully defended design professional in negligence claim arising from multi million underlying construction project.
Professional Affiliations :
- Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- Professional Liability Underwriters Society (PLUS)
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- Executive Committee of its Insurance Practice Section
- Judiciary Committee, Member
Rate : $$$$