Mr. Robert Berezin is a partner in Weil’s Litigation Department and a member of the Complex Commercial Litigation and Patent Litigation practices, as well as the Firm’s Cybersecurity, Data Privacy & Information Management group. For more than two decades, he has successfully litigated and tried high-stakes disputes involving technology, IP licensing, and other complex commercial matters in courts nationwide, and in domestic and international arbitration proceedings.
In the technology space, Mr. Berezin litigates cases involving complex technology and various causes of action, with an emphasis on patent, licensing/breach of contract, fraud, tortious interference, trade secret theft and antitrust.
He has significant experience litigating cases involving the following technologies: Smart home, home automation and security systems, video analytics/surveillance, biometric technologies, content distribution systems, claims processing systems, energy and clean coal technologies and Internet commerce.
Mr. Berezin’s licensing litigation and arbitration experience includes trademark, most favored nations, and breach of contract disputes. In other commercial disputes, Mr. Berezin has prevailed in cases involving lenders, investment banks, real estate developments, cell-phone distributors, as well as debtors and creditors in bankruptcy litigation.
Mr. Berezin regularly publishes and speaks on a wide range of legal and litigation issues. Most recently, Mr. Berezin has published and has been quoted about emerging technology-related issues facing companies in a variety of sectors, such as the risks associated with the Industrial Internet/Internet of Things, Big Data, and privacy.
Mr. Berezin has been a faculty advisor to the Trade Secrets Institute at the Brooklyn Law School. He also maintains an active pro bono practice, including assisting immigrant victims of domestic violence, as well as work on behalf of the Innocence Project and the Epilepsy Foundation. Recent notable experience includes:
- Won a complete victory for General Electric in a high-stakes commercial dispute after a three-week arbitration hearing pertaining to the development of complex technology used for power generation. Mr. Berezin also has represented General Electric in commercial and patent disputes for the company’s Aviation, Energy, Oil and Gas, and GE Capital divisions.
- Represented Samsung at trial in a licensing, contractual and patent dispute involving semiconductor technology. After a successful bench trial, the dispute was favorably resolved. Mr. Berezin also has represented Samsung in other matters, including patent litigation relating to digital camera technology.
- Vivint in a six-patent case and associated IPR proceedings against a competitor providing home automation and security SAAS technologies.
- Represented American Airlines concerning the distribution of airline content to business travelers in an antitrust and tortious interference litigation brought in State and Federal court against companies that were both technology providers and competitors. Intense litigation and several days of trial presenting American’s case to a Texas jury resulted in a very favorable resolution.
- Represented CBS and AOL in connection with patent litigation over Internet radio technology. Mr. Berezin obtained summary judgment of non-infringement in favor of his clients after a successful Markman hearing.
- Represented Lehman Brothers in an arbitration arising out of a real estate dispute that involved breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty claims. He secured a complete victory (including attorneys’ fees).
- Represented First Aviation Services in a multi-million dollar action alleging breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty and fraud. A California jury returned a defense verdict for First Aviation.
- University of Missouri (B.A., 1991)
- University of Chicago Law School (J.D., 1994)
- US Court of Appeals 3rd Cir.
- New York State
- Southern District Florida
- Southern District New York
Rate : $$$$