Robert F. Shaffer is a first-chair trial attorney who litigates patent infringement cases in a wide spectrum of technologies, including pharmaceutical, medical device, biologics, cutting-edge consumer products, and gaming.
He has secured favorable results for clients in a multitude of forums and at every level in the process, in district courts (judge and jury) and arbitration proceedings, at the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC), before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), and on appeal.
Rob regularly leads litigation teams on significant medical device patent infringement cases and Hatch-Waxman Paragraph IV disputes, representing leading innovative medical device and pharmaceutical companies across the country in dozens of major cases.
In addition to his litigation practice, Rob advises clients on a variety of patent matters, including licensing, patent procurement, and pre- and post-litigation strategies. He has written opinions of counsel and has successfully navigated clients through settling complex disputes in private mediation and other alternative dispute resolution proceedings without litigation.
He has been recognized by The Legal 500 U.S. for patent litigation. Rob frequently lectures on patent matters, including at the Medical Device Manufacturing Association (MDMA) Executive Forum and the Biotechnology Innovation Organization (BIO) IP Counsels Committee Conference.
He was recognized by George Mason University School of Law as a leading adjunct professor for directing the Patent Litigation and Dispute Resolution Seminar. He served as a member of the firm’s management committee, and served a three-year term as the hiring partner for the Washington, DC office.
- George Mason University School of Law J.D., magna cum laude, 2000
- Virginia Commonwealth University, Medical College of Virginia M.S., Physiology & Biophysics, 1996
- Georgetown University B.A., History, 1992
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
Professional Activities :
- District of Columbia Bar (Intellectual Property Section) (chair of Trade Secrets Section, 2004-2007; Steering Committe, 2007-2010)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar (Intellectual Property Section)
- Intellectual Property Owners Association
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
Rate : $$$$