Robert J. Staffaroni, of counsel to the firm, is a member of the Tax Department whose practice has focused on equipment leasing and other financing transactions, securities offerings, financial products and international transactions. He has been recognized in Chambers USA (2011 – 2014) as “highly recommended for his expertise in international transactions, securities offerings, financing transactions and financial products” and as having been praised by clients for being “unafraid to take his strong foundation of where the law is and extrapolate where it should; he’s just very innovative.” Mr. Staffaroni is the author of a number of articles on international taxation and other tax topics.
Mr. Staffaroni joined Debevoise in 1980 and became a partner in 1985. He received his B.A. from Yale University in 1973 and his J.D. from the University of Pennsylvania in 1976. From 1976 to 1977, he served as law clerk with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
- Alliance Boots in tax matters relating to the possible tax inversion of Walgreens.
- American Airlines and AMR, as special aircraft counsel, in their successful Chapter 11 proceedings involving the restructuring of complex financing arrangements relating to more than 400 aircraft generating savings in excess of $1.8 billion and to the raising of more than $9 billion of new financing through various capital markets, syndicated lending and other financing transactions. This restructuring was honored by Turnarounds & Workouts as one of a dozen “Successful Restructurings – 2013.”
- American Airlines in its 2013 purchase agreements with Embraer and Bombardier covering an aggregate of 90 firm aircraft and 130 option aircraft and in related export credit agency and manufacturer backstop financing facilities.
- American Airlines in negotiating aircraft financing facilities with, among others, Boeing, GECAS, Airbus, Aercap and ILFC.
- AMR Corporation and American Airlines in numerous other financing transactions, including offerings of pass through trust certificates, secured notes, convertible notes and equity, aircraft mortgage loans, spare engine and spare parts financings, slots, routes and gates financings, export credit financings, manufacturer financing commitments and U.S. and cross-border equipment lease transactions, and in arrangements with regional carriers.
- Delta Air Lines in pass through trust certificate offerings and equipment lease transactions.
- Delta Air Lines and Comair, as special aircraft counsel, in their successful Chapter 11 proceedings, involving the refinancing of more than 275 aircraft via new debt or lease arrangements, the return or other disposition of more than 140 aircraft, the elimination of four aircraft types from Delta’s fleet and the litigation of substantial aircraft financing claims.
- Spirit Airlines in several financing facilities.
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, 1976, J.D.
- Yale University, 1973, B.A.
- New York
Rate : $$$