Robert L. Wallan, co-chair of Pillsbury’s Chambers USA-ranked national Insurance Recovery and Advisory Practice, handles class actions, insurance recovery and business-related litigation and has recovered nearly $3 billion for clients.
Robert represents financial institutions, restaurants, retailers, manufacturers and others in company versus company disputes, consumer class actions and a range of “bet the company” cases. He often shifts exposure from clients to their insurers, despite coverage denials.
Robert’s extensive litigation experience includes disputes related to mergers and acquisitions, distribution and license agreements, technology, lending practices, insolvencies and insurance coverage. He has tried dozens of cases in state, federal and appellate courts and before arbitration panels.
REPRESENTATIVE EXPERIENCE :
- Serving as Fluidmaster’s lead counsel in insurance recovery and bad faith litigation over multiple insurers’ refusal to defend and indemnify it in more than a dozen nationwide product liability mass and class actions. Recoveries exceed $30 million to date.
- Led the Pillsbury team representing food distributor Custom Foods in state court litigation against reseller to recover more than $20 million in losses resulting from a massive government beef recall.
- Representing a national bank against insurers who improperly denied D & O coverage claims on more than $150 million exposure for securities claims.
- Representing The Broad in federal litigation seeking coverage under a nonprofit D & O policy in connection with claims arising from the construction of its modern art museum in Los Angeles.
- Continuing environmental insurance litigation on behalf of Rayonier in California state court has produced more than $20 million in insurance recoveries.
- Obtained dismissal of nationwide class claims concerning nutritional labeling for snack foods distributor Lenny & Larry’s.
- Defended a domain name startup company and its principals in federal suit alleging fraudulent misrepresentations in a merger and sale transaction. Case settled on eve of trial with recovery of client’s legal fees.
- J.D., University of San Diego School of Law, 1986
- B.A., University of California, Los Angeles, 1982
ADMISSIONS : California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern, Southern and Central Districts of California
Rate : $$$$