A. Robert Weaver is a registered patent attorney and Florida Bar board certified specialist in Intellectual Property Law. Rob maintains a balanced practice in all areas of intellectual property. Rob has successfully prosecuted numerous utility and design patent applications relating to a variety of technologies, with a focus on the mechanical arts.
He has additional experience with other technologies such as electrical, biomechanical, and business method technologies. Rob also advises clients on foreign filings and works with foreign counsel and applicants on prosecuting applications in the United States claiming foreign priority.
Rob also works with clients to develop and maintain extensive trademark portfolios both within and outside the United States. Rob’s practice further includes litigating intellectual property disputes in both federal and state courts, as well as through administrative proceedings before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
In 2017, Rob participated in and graduated from the Cozen O’Connor Trial Academy (COTA) to further strengthen his trial practice. His practice also includes licensing, patentability and trademark searches, infringement and freedom to operate opinions, as well as general support of the firm’s commercial litigation practice.
Rob received his J.D., cum laude, and his Bachelors of Science in mechanical engineering from the University of Miami. As a law student, he received Dean’s List recognition, was awarded Honors in the Litigation Skills Program, and was a finalist in the school’s negotiation competition. He also served as president of the Intellectual Property Law Society as well as vice president of the Society of Bar & Gavel.
Rob was also named the Hunton & Williams Fellow in the STREET Law Program where he regularly taught legal issues to high school students. As an undergraduate, Rob received the Blake King Award for Best Senior Design Project for successfully improving the design of a bulletproof vest by reducing the blunt trauma to a user of the vest.
- Represented a leading gel polish company in counterfeit and grey market enforcement actions throughout the United States, including obtaining several temporary restraining orders and conducting seizures.
- Represented a medical device company in a patent and trademark infringement dispute regarding sudomotor function measurement technology. We negotiated a favorable settlement after discovery closed, and obtained an extremely favorable claim construction order.
- Represented a fishing accessory manufacturer facing claims of copyright infringement. After successfully moving to dismiss some of the claims against our client, we negotiated a favorable settlement.
- Represented a condominium management group as the plaintiff in a trade secret misappropriation case. We filed a successful motion for sanctions against the defendant for discovery misconduct and obtained a default judgment, including entitlement to recover the client’s fees.
- Represented a leading wiper blade manufacturer in prosecuting and obtaining patent protection, as well as conducting clearance opinions and providing general intellectual property counseling.
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2011
- University of Miami, B.S.M.E., 2008
BAR ADMISSIONS :
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court — Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court — Middle District of Florida
- President-Elect, University of Miami Engineering Alumni Association
- Chair, New Lawyers Committee, American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Selected Member, University of Miami Citizen’s Board
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Florida Bar Business Law Section
- Former Vice Chair of the IP Committee, Dade County Bar Association
Rate : $$$