Robin L.S. Burroughs assists employers with employment litigation, employment counseling, and labor relations. She represents clients in a diverse array of industries, including independent schools and higher education institutions, public sector employers, financial services providers, and construction services firms.
Robin represents employers in employment litigation matters, including defending against claims of discrimination and wage and hour violations.
Robin has experience managing all stages of litigation in both state and federal courts, including initial investigations, discovery management, depositions, drafting and arguing pre-trial motions, trial preparation, and appeals.
She has also represented clients in administrative forums, including mediation, arbitration (including grievance and interest arbitration), and actions before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and similar state agencies.
Robin counsels clients to ensure compliance with relevant laws, including wage and hour laws, disability and discrimination laws, leave laws, and labor laws. She works with clients to improve the quality and efficacy of employment-related practices, policies, and documents, including drafting or updating employment agreements, separation agreements, and workplace handbooks.
Recently Robin has provided counsel regarding the Fair Labor Standards Act, Age Discrimination in Employment Act and Older Workers Benefit Protection Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, Family and Medical Leave Act, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act, the DC Human Rights Act, DC Accrued Sick and Safe Leave Act, DC Fair Criminal Record Screening Act, and many other state, local, and federal laws.
- Assisted numerous employers across the country with institution-wide audits of employee classifications to ensure compliance with federal and local wage and hour laws
- Conducted an investigation and provided an investigation report for a liberal arts college in connection with student complaints alleging Title VI and Title IX violations
- Drafted an employer position statement that resulted in a “no cause” finding and dismissal of an employee’s age discrimination charges before a state workforce services agency
- Assisted in achieving an early and favorable settlement in mediation for a financial services company accused of discrimination
- Petitioned to vacate a labor arbitration award in federal district court on behalf of a multi-jurisdictional government agency
- Drafted briefs for an appeal to the Fourth Circuit in a wage and hour matter where her client received a favorable decision which abrogated prior Fourth Circuit case law.
- J.D. magna cum laude University of Maryland School of Law 2013
- B.A. Sociology and History with honors Bucknell University 2008
Bar Admissions : Maryland, District of Columbia
Court Admissions :
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Rate : $$$$