Roger A. Colaizzi chairs Venable’s national Advertising Litigation group. Roger has significant trial experience litigating Lanham Act false advertising, state deceptive trade practices, unfair competition, advertising class actions, trial and continuity marketing, direct-to-consumer marketing, social networking, affiliate advertising, domain names, keyword advertising, and other e-commerce matters.
He has extensive trial experience in litigating brand protection advertising issues, including anti-counterfeiting, trademark, trade dress, patent, and copyright.
He has successfully brought and defended against dozens of emergency preliminary injunction motions and requests for temporary restraining orders— important remedies in competitive advertising and the protection of IP, product brands, and other proprietary assets.
He has represented clients before regulatory agencies such as the FTC and self-regulating bodies such as the Electronic Retailing Self-Regulation program (ERSP) and National Advertising Division (NAD), and in state attorney general and other regulatory agency investigations, as well as in disputes throughout the country between clients and the Better Business Bureau on advertising issues, accreditation and grade ratings.
Roger began his career in the Honors Program at the U.S. Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division, where he represented the United States in the prosecution of employment-related race and sex discrimination claims, for more than four years. He also served as a special assistant U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia, where he prosecuted criminal cases.
- Special Assistant United States Attorney, United States Department of Justice, District of Columbia
- Trial Attorney, United States Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division
- J.D. Delaware Law School 1983
- B.A. Dickinson College 1980
Bar Admissions : District of Columbia, Maryland, New York
Professional Memberships :
- Member, District of Columbia Bar Association
- Member, Maryland State Bar Association
- Member, Virginia Bar Association
- Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Member, Northern Virginia Technology Council
Rate : $$$$