Ronald W. Taylor is chair of Venable’s Maryland Labor and Employment Practice Group. Recognized as one of the leading lawyers in Maryland, Ron advises and defends employers—including public and private business of all sizes, and nonprofit organizations nationwide—on labor, employment, and occupational safety and health matters.
He has extensive experience handling wage and hour, privacy, non-compete, collective bargaining, employment discrimination, disability, occupational safety, and wrongful discharge issues. He has obtained summary judgment or dismissal of claims, or prevailed after hearing in numerous employment and occupational safety cases.
Ron also has extensive experience in the public sector negotiating collective bargaining agreements, including prevailing following impasse arbitrations and fact findings, and in collective bargaining and labor arbitration for private sector employers.
Ron has successfully advised and defended clients against citations issued by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) in virtually every state plan counterpart.
- Handled the first Maryland case to establish the proposition that a disclaimer in an employee manual can prevent it from becoming a contract
- Secured a victory for an employer during a week-long impasse arbitration hearing, saving the client hundreds of thousands of dollars annually
- Defended a large construction manager against willful violations arising from the death of a contractor’s employee, when a tunnel collapsed at Dulles Airport
- Defended an electrical contractor against citations issued after an accident that resulted in an explosion that seriously burned two employees
- Defended a nationwide retailer and a national construction employer in OSHA enforcement actions in virtually all U.S. states
- J.D. William & Mary Marshall-Wythe School of Law 1981
- B.A. with high distinction University of Virginia 1977
Bar Admissions : Maryland
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Court of Appeals of Maryland
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
Professional Memberships :
- Past co-chairman, American Bar Association, Committee on Occupational Safety and Health, 1998 – 2001
- Past adjunct professor, Johns Hopkins University’s Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Fellow, College of Labor and Employment Lawyers
- Invited to testify as a witness before the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on OSHA Reform Legislation
- Conducted OSHA recordkeeping and compliance seminars for national and international companies.
Rate : $$$