Rose Leda Ehler is a litigation partner in the Los Angeles office of Munger, Tolles & Olson. Her litigation and counseling practice spans a wide variety of matters with a particular emphasis on legal problems faced by the technology and entertainment industries.
Key Litigation Representations
- Disney, Lucasfilm, Fox and Warner Bros. in a copyright infringement and circumvention action against VidAngel.
- Square as defendant in a putative class action alleging violations of consumer protection laws in California state court.
- The National Fire Protection Association, a major standard-setting organization, in litigation challenging whether standards lose their copyright protection when government bodies incorporate them by reference.
- A prominent biopharmaceutical company in a confidential arbitration regarding the company’s collaboration agreement for development and commercialization of its patented life-saving cancer treatment.
Key Counseling Representations:
- A four-month secondment as an in-house product counsel attorney for Square, Inc., during which Ms. Ehler advised business teams on legal issues including privacy, copyright and trademark, consumer protection laws, as well as contract negotiation and drafting.
- Drafting and advising numerous clients on terms of service, privacy policies and copyright matters.
Ms. Ehler was recognized among The Recorder’s “Women Leaders in Tech Law in 2018” as a “Next Generation Honoree,” which recognizes women in their first decade of practice who are “making their mark” on the tech industry, based on her work for Square, Inc. and other clients. She was also recognized as among the top attorneys in the entertainment business in Variety’s 2018 Legal Impact Report. She was highlighted in the report’s “Up Next” section, which recognizes rising star attorneys in entertainment law, based on her contributions to the studios’ winning litigation against VidAngel.
Ms. Ehler also has an active pro bono practice. Most recently, she briefed, argued and obtained a reversal in the Ninth Circuit against the government on behalf of a client who was wrongfully placed on the No-Fly List.
In 2016, she represented the non-profit Coalition to Abolish Slavery and Trafficking (CAST) in Los Angeles Superior Court, successfully quashing a criminal subpoena for attorney and caseworker records. In 2014, she represented CAST in obtaining a court order to protect the confidentiality of its shelter for survivors of human trafficking.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Ehler clerked for the Honorable Stephen Reinhardt of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. She received her J.D. from Stanford Law School, where she served as senior notes editor for the Stanford Law Review and participated in the Supreme Court Litigation Clinic, drafting petitions for certiorari as well as merits briefs before the U.S Supreme Court.
- Stanford Law School (J.D., 2012); senior notes editor, Stanford Law Review; Supreme Court Litigation Clinic
- Pomona College (B.A., magna cum laude, 2006); Phi Beta Kappa
Bar Admissions : California
Rate : $$$$