Russell B. Buchanan is a real estate, bankruptcy, litigation and labor and employment attorney with Baker Donelson. Mr. Buchanan’s real estate practice includes commercial acquisitions, development and refinancing transactions.
His litigation practice is primarily focused on complex commercial and real estate litigation involving contract disputes, employment disputes, real estate development disputes, workout agreements, construction and lien disputes, condominium disputes, title insurance disputes, commercial evictions and foreclosures.
Mr. Buchanan’s real estate litigation experience includes foreclosure disputes, TILA claims, TCPA claims, RESPA and predatory lending claims. He routinely defends against unfair and deceptive trade practice claims, bad faith claims, fraud claims and unfair competition claims.
Mr. Buchanan’s bankruptcy practice is primarily focused on creditor representation. He represents financial institutions, lenders, and other creditors in Chapter 7, 11, 13, and 15 proceedings.
Mr. Buchanan has significant experience representing employers in federal and state court in Florida with respect to wage and hour, discrimination, retaliation and common law employment claims, as well as in the negotiation, drafting and enforcement of anti-solicitation and non-competition agreements.
While attending law school, Mr. Buchanan served as an intern coordinator and field staffer for United States Senate candidate Richard Tarrant, where he supervised the efforts of 13 interns and implemented advanced microtargeting techniques.
Mr. Buchanan also served as a law clerk for John McCain’s 2008 Presidential campaign, where he researched and wrote memoranda on various aspects of federal and Florida election and administrative law.
While in college, Mr. Buchanan participated in the Vermont Legislative Research Service, where he performed non-partisan policy research for Vermont state legislators, and was president of the University of Vermont Roller Hockey Team.
- Florida State University College of Law, J.D., 2008
- University of Vermont, B.A., Political Science, 2005, honors
- Florida, 2008
- U.S. District Court, Middle, Southern and Northern Districts of Florida
- United States Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- Served as outside general counsel to large multifamily housing developer.
- Represented national institutional lenders in connection with forbearance agreements and workout agreements.
- Represented lenders and borrowers in numerous contested commercial foreclosure matters where loan balances exceed $10 million.
- Represented various institutional and private lenders in contested Chapter 11 cases.
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Member – The Florida Bar
- President/Past Treasurer/Member – Northern District of Florida Bankruptcy Bar Association
Rate : $$$