Russell J. Chibe works on state and federal complex litigation matters at both the trial and appellate phases and has significant experience with multidistrict litigation on behalf of major pharmaceutical companies.
Russ works at the local level and as a member of national litigation teams defending manufacturers of medical devices as well as prescription and over-the-counter medications.
Russ is also a primary litigator in the firm’s asbestos defense practice in Madison County, Illinois, and has regularly appeared before Madison County judges since 2006. His experience includes ethylene oxide, latex glove and benzene products liability litigation.
He has co-authored and co-presented seminars on the topics of preemption for generic over-the-counter medications, premises liability and the regulation of mobile medical apps. Additionally, Russ has gained exposure to immigration law and federal civil rights litigation through the firm’s pro bono practice.
In addition to his products liability practice, Russ consults with local craft breweries regarding business development, regulatory compliance and intellectual property matters. Russ’s familiarity with the craft beer industry goes beyond the law: he has won multiple homebrewing awards and has collaborated with Metropolitan Brewing in Chicago’s Ravenswood neighborhood.
Russ also worked in Northwestern’s Center on Wrongful Convictions, where he helped draft a clemency petition on behalf of an Indiana Death Row inmate whose sentence was subsequently commuted.
- Serves as defense counsel for manufacturers of knee replacement systems in multiple state and federal jurisdictions.
- Achieved a defense verdict on behalf of a manufacturer of an over the counter ibuprofen product in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
- Assisted in severing a multi-plaintiff claim against the manufacturer of a prescription antibiotic and then obtained dismissals of the individual plaintiffs’ claims in multiple Illinois state jurisdictions.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a brake manufacturer in Madison County, Illinois, asbestos litigation.
- Served as part of team that drafted an amendment to Section 5 of the Illinois Liquor Control Act of 1934 which re-defined where homebrewed beverages may legally be served; the amendment was passed and went into effect in 2013.
- Represented three rap artists whose names and likenesses were misappropriated by the National Tobacco Co., a subsidiary of Phillip Morris, for use on a web site.
- Northwestern University School of Law, J.D., 2006, Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology
- Colorado State University, M.S., 2003
- Valparaiso University, B.S., 2001, summa cum laude
Bar Admissions : Illinois
Court Admissions :
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
Rate : $$$