Russell R. Eggert handles environmental cases throughout the United States. Chambers USA notes he is “at the forefront of the environmental litigation Bar, calling upon a tremendous depth of expertise when appearing in state and federal courts and in administrative proceedings.”
For more than four decades, Russ has represented companies, individuals, trade associations and public agencies in enforcement actions, both public and private, involving every major federal environmental statute and many of their state and local counterparts. He regularly defends clients in large mass tort and class action lawsuits.
Russ also advises clients on a broad range of environmental compliance and due diligence projects in order to avoid litigation, if possible, and to place the client in the best position if litigation is unavoidable.
Representative Matters : Representative matters from the past few years in which Russ has served as lead counsel include the following :
- Defending a multinational manufacturer in a state enforcement action involving a chemical spill.
- Defending a large industrial company in a mass tort action alleging environmental nuisance and personal injury claims caused by air emissions.
- Represented a trade association in litigation over regulation of nonpoint sources under the Clean Water Act.
- Tried a CERCLA cost recovery action involving allegations of successor liability following a bankruptcy.
- University of Illinois College of Law, J.D., 1973
- University of Illinois, B.A., 1970
BAR ADMISSIONS : Illinois
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
Rate : $$$