Russell Kooistra counsels an array of energy companies on various issues related to natural gas and electricity markets. Russell uses his in-depth knowledge of Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) policy and regulations to advise clients on complex regulatory matters.
Russell’s primary practice focuses on federal regulation of the physical and financial gas and electricity markets, including the representation of gas pipelines and local distribution companies, electric utilities, transmission companies, and hydropower project owners in proceedings before FERC.
His practice includes matters related to administrative complaints and litigation, rate and certificate proceedings, and compliance with FERC’s Anti-Manipulation Rule.
Russell also has experience drafting key documents in energy-related transactions, including energy M&A transactions, gas pipeline precedent agreements, and asset management agreements. While attending law school, Russell interned at the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission in the Division of Enforcement.
Representative Matters :
- Counseled a natural gas pipeline company in connection with filing a certificate application with FERC for a new greenfield pipeline project.
- Advised a natural gas midstream company in a proceeding involving FERC jurisdiction over the company’s processing plant residue line.
- Provided legal analysis to a natural gas utility regarding whether one of its traders violated FERC’s Anti-Manipulation Rule.
- Counseled an electric transmission company with respect to administrative litigation involving a FERC jurisdictional rate schedule, resulting in settlement.
- Represented an energy storage company in matters related to the acquisition of flywheel facilities.
- Advised a major investor-owned utility in the acquisition of portfolios of solar facilities in the Southeast United States.
Professional Experience : Legal Intern, Whistleblower Office, Division of Enforcement, U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission, 2014-2015
- George Washington University Law School, J.D., cum laude, George Washington Scholar, 2015
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, B.S., 2012
BAR ADMISSIONS : New York, District of Columbia
Rate : $$$$