Ruth Holzmanis a partner in the Tax Group. Her practice focuses on the tax aspects of corporate and real estate transactions, including business formations, mergers and acquisitions, tax-free reorganizations and spin-offs, business dispositions, debt and equity financings and restructurings, lending transactions, real estate acquisitions, dispositions and tax-deferred exchanges, and real estate restructurings and loan workouts.
She also is experienced in tax planning for start-up and emerging growth companies, as well as passthrough entities such as limited liability companies, partnerships and S corporations. In addition to federal income tax matters, Ruth also advises on state and local taxes.
She has advised clients in a wide range of industries including life sciences, renewable energy, biofuels, media and technology, entertainment, telecommunications, manufacturing, food, healthcare, financial services, venture capital and private equity funds and real estate development. She also counsels numerous tax-exempt organizations on a multitude of tax and nonprofit corporate law issues.
Ruth was profiled in the ABA Journal twice – in the May 2001 issue in the story “Life in Question: How Five Lawyers Worked Out Answers of Their Own,” and in the July 2006 issue in the story “Life in Question…Continued.” Ruth was also selected by her peers and the publishers of Law & Politics and Los Angelesmagazine as one of Southern California’s “Super Lawyers” for 2006.
- University of California, Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law, 1977, J.D., Order of the Coif; Phi Beta Kappa; Note and Comment Editor of the California Law Review
- University of California, Berkeley, 1974, A.B.
Professional Admissions & Qualifications : California
Professional Affiliations :
- Beverly Hills Bar Association (Business Law and Tax sections)
- Los Angeles County Bar Association (Business Law and Tax sections)
- Structured a tax-advantageous leveraged buy-out of a majority interest owned by a private equity fund in a limited liability company engaged in the consumer products industry
- Provided tax advice to Frankly, Inc., in its acquisition of WorldNow, which provides content management and advertising solutions to local news media
- Provided tax advice to Frankly, Inc. in connection with its $22.5 million private placement, followed by an internal reorganization in Canada and listing on the Toronto TSX Venture Exchange
- Structured an asset sale of an internet-based company to a private equity firm
- Structured numerous multi-jurisdictional, tax-efficient cross-border investments made by a U.S. venture fund.
Rate : $$$