Ryan M. Bates’s practice spans all aspects of employment law. He has distinguished himself as a nationwide litigator handling complex employment litigation, including class actions, collective actions, and “bet the company” litigation. Ryan routinely counsels nationwide clients on difficult compliance issues.
- Regularly defends employers against class actions and collective actions alleging exemption misclassification, independent contractor misclassification, working off-the-clock, failure to provide meal and rest breaks, failure to provide accurate wage statements, and related wage and hour claims.
- Regularly defends employers against lawsuits arising under Title VII, Americans with Disabilities Act, Age Discrimination in Employment Act, Family and Medical Leave Act, and various state discrimination statutes.
- Has litigated cases in state and federal courts of over 20 states, including Virginia, District of Columbia, Maryland, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, New York, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, West Virginia, and Wyoming.
- Has defended employers in over 200 administrative actions filed with the EEOC, Department of Labor, and state/local agencies in over 35 states.
- Experience counseling clients on nationwide employment law issues including compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and state disability laws, Family and Medical Leave Act and state leave laws, federal and state wage and hour laws, trade secret protection, and implementing reductions-in-force.
- Experience drafting various employment documents including executive employment agreements, severance agreements, employment handbooks, and bonus plans.
- Experience representing unionized employers in defense of unfair labor practice charges.
- Ryan is a contributing author to the Hunton Employment & Labor Perspectives blog.
- JD, The George Washington University Law School, 2007
- BA, University of Delaware, 2003
- District of Columbia
- Member, American Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section
- Member and Past Program Chair, Virginia Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section
- Member, Fairfax Bar Association, Employment Law Section
- President, Legal Services of Northern Virginia, 2018-19
- Board of Directors, Legal Services of Northern Virginia, 2013-present
Rate : $$$$