Ryan A. Cates is an employment litigator with a focus on management-side employment litigation, counseling and traditional labor law. With an attentive and personable demeanor, Ryan is able to ease his clients’ worries in even the most trying and potentially damaging of situations.
- Assisted a major rail carrier in the defense of numerous employee whistleblower complaints filed under the Federal Railroad Safety Act. Investigated complaint allegations, analyzed relevant documentation, interviewed key witnesses and drafted dispositive position statements, resulting in significant success for the client.
- Defended a large automobile manufacturer in its refusal to pay a recruiter’s fee due to the absence of a signed contract. Interviewed key witnesses, assessed risk of liability to the company and negotiated a settlement of the case, which was favorable to the client.
- Defended a large automobile manufacturer in a disability discrimination matter. A former employee had attempted to return to work after a lengthy medical leave of absence but was denied reinstatement due to loss of seniority. Investigated the complaint, interviewed witnesses involved with the refusal to reinstate the employee and drafted a motion for summary judgment. The court awarded summary judgment in a favorable written opinion.
- Defended a public transit authority from an unfair labor practice charge alleging unilateral implementation of policy by an employer. Investigated factual circumstances of the union’s allegations and drafted an administrative position statement, resulting in a dismissal of charge.
- American Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Columbus Bar Association
- J.D., Case Western Reserve University School of Law, 2009, cum laude
- B.A., History, Kenyon College, 2006, cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 2012
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio, 2011
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 2009
Rate : $$$$