Ryan Dykal is a litigation partner who focuses on complex intellectual property cases. He has handled patent, copyright, trade secret, computer fraud, unfair competition, and contractual disputes from pre-suit investigations through trial and appeal.
He regularly represents companies in the telecommunications, medical device, consumer goods, computer hardware, and software spaces.
Ryan is a registered patent attorney and regularly gives CLE lectures on intellectual property and litigation issues. Before law school, he worked for a robotics engineering firm and was a National Merit Scholar at Washington University in St. Louis, where he studied physics.
- Sprint v. Time Warner Cable (D. Kan.) – Represent Sprint in patent infringement action on twelve patents, securing jury verdict of willful infringement and full damages request of $139.5 million. Affirmed by the Federal Circuit.
- Cerner Corporation v. Visicu, Inc. (W.D. Mo.) – Represent Cerner in patent and trade secret case involving medical devices, obtaining jury verdict of invalidity and non-infringement for all asserted patents and no theft of trade secrets. Affirmed by the Federal Circuit.
- Sprint v. Comcast (D. Kan.) – Represent Sprint in VoIP patent litigation, obtaining summary judgment of infringement and a privilege waiver, resulting in a settlement of at least $350 million on the eve of trial.
- Oracle v. Rimini Street (D. Nev.) – Represent Rimini Street in case alleging copyright infringement, computer hacking, breach of contract, interference with prospective economic advantage, unfair competition, trespass to chattels, and unjust enrichment. All non-copyright claims defeated, with copyright infringement determined by jury to be innocent. Cost award to Oracle reversed by the U.S. Supreme Court.
- GE Lighting Solutions v. Feit Electric (N.D. Ohio) – Represent Feit Electric in patent litigation involving LED technology, obtaining summary judgment of invalidity on indefiniteness grounds under 35 U.S.C. § 112.
- Twilio v. TeleSign (N.D. Cal.) – Represent TeleSign in patent infringement action involving internet security products, obtaining invalidity of four patents on 35 U.S.C. § 101 grounds.
- Cisco v. Sprint (D. Del.) – Represent Sprint in two separate cases, disposing of all claims before trial.
- SPEX v. DataLocker (C.D. Cal.) – Represent DataLocker in patent infringement action involving encryption technology.
- Sioux Chief v. Zurn (D. Del.) – Represent Sioux Chief in patent infringement action against Zurn.
- Flectere v. UPS (E.D. Texas) – Obtain dismissal of case asserting two web technology patents against UPS.
- Sprint v. Comcast (D. Del.) – Represent Sprint in patent litigation involving fiber optic technology, obtaining full jury verdict in favor of Sprint.
- Cox v. Sprint (D. Del.) – Represent Sprint in declaratory judgment action involving telephony and on-demand video patents, obtaining favorable settlement on eve of trial.
- Sprint v. Cable One (D. Kan.) – Represent Sprint in patent infringement action against Cable One.
- Soteria v. DataLocker (C.D. Cal) – Represent DataLocker in patent infringement case involving secured storage devices.
- Comcast v. Sprint Communications (D. Del. and E.D. Penn.) – Represent Sprint in patent litigation involving various telecommunications technologies.
- Light Transformation Technologies v. Feit Electric (E.D. Texas) – Represent Feit Electric in patent litigation involving LED technology.
- Luminetx Technologies v. AccuVein (W.D. Tenn.) – Represent AccuVein in patent infringement action involving medical imaging technology.
- Sprint v. Charter (D. Del.) – Represent Sprint in infringement action against Charter.
- Document Generation v. Cerner (E.D. Mich.) – Represent Cerner in two patent infringement cases relating to electronic medical records.
- Sprint v. Big River Communications (D. Kan.) – Represent Sprint in patent infringement action involving voice-over-packet technology.
- Sprint v. Mediacom (D. Del.) – Represent Sprint in infringement action against Mediacom.
- Geo Foundation v. Feit Electric (M.D. Florida) – Represent Feit Electric in patent litigation involving compact fluorescent lamp technology.
- Mayo Clinic and Cerner v. Elkin (D. Minn.) – Represent Cerner in intellectual property matter in the District of Minnesota.
- J.D., magna cum laude, University of Missouri – Kansas City, 2008
- B.A., Washington University in Saint Louis, 2003 (Physics)
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Intellectual Property Owners Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
Rate : $$$$