Ryan Cullen Granholm assists clients with complex compliance and litigation matters involving local, state, and federal environmental rules. He regularly advocates for his clients in a variety of different jurisdictions and venues, from county circuit court, to state administrative agencies, to federal district and appellate courts.
Ryan believes the best lawyers are flexible. He tailors his approach to his clients’ needs and goals—from answering pressing compliance questions to crafting long-term litigation strategies. Employing technical, legal, and negotiation-based approaches, Ryan works with his clients to provide creative yet real-world advice.
- Ryan represented utility clients in federal appellate court challenges to a Clean Air Act rulemaking. He helped plan and execute challenges to new EPA rules, which required extensive briefing regarding issues of appellate jurisdiction and venue, eventually resulting in a stay of the rules.
- When Illinois regulators brought an industry-wide enforcement action, Ryan negotiated successfully with agency officials to resolve alleged violations of state standards by his client, a major producer of aggregate and construction materials.
- Ryan assists with Schiff’s representation of a manufacturing client in a major CERCLA sediment site cleanup. He monitors and provides advice on the many, interconnected aspects of the case including federal bankruptcy proceedings, U.S. EPA enforcement action, state litigation, and political strategy.
- Ryan represents an Illinois utility in a highly contested state rulemaking proceeding. He develops strategy, drafts written submissions, prepares witness testimony, and participates in public hearings.
- As part of Schiff’s ongoing representations of a high-profile client and his family, Ryan helped obtain a favorable settlement in commercial arbitration between his client and a former business partner. He assisted with case strategy, investigated the factual record, and prepared witnesses for the arbitration hearing.
- University of Notre Dame Law School, J.D., 2015
- Indiana University, B.A., 2012
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- Chicago Bar Association
Rate : $$$$