Ryan S. Kasdin advises tax-exempt organizations on a range of corporate, tax, and governance matters, political activities regulatory compliance, and commercial transactions. In addition to providing general counsel services, Ryan helps clients navigate the intersecting tax and campaign finance laws applicable to tax-exempt organizations engaging in issue advocacy and political activities.
Ryan works with a variety of tax-exempt organizations, including public charities, private foundations, political committees, advocacy organizations, and professional associations. Clients appreciate his accessible, solution-oriented approach to lawyering and his understanding of their individual challenges and goals.
Ryan has broad experience advising clients on structural and operational matters, including formation, corporate governance, tax exemption, fiscal sponsorships, mergers and reorganizations, alliances and joint ventures, contract negotiation, grant-making, copyright and trademark protection and licensing, fundraising regulation, and other issues relevant to tax-exempt organizations.
He works with clients on complex tax, transactional, and regulatory compliance questions, as well as day-to-day problem solving. For clients involved in issue advocacy and political activity, Ryan advises on federal and state campaign finance compliance, election laws, gifts and ethics rules, formation of PACs, and overall legal and regulatory compliance.
He advises clients on permissible uses of tax-exempt dollars for issue advocacy, lobbying, and political activities, and helps clients achieve desired outcomes within the legal framework. He vets political advertisements and issue advocacy campaigns for compliance with the tax code, grant restrictions, and campaign finance restrictions.
- Represented The Common Application, Inc. in its acquisition of Former First Lady Michelle Obama’s Reach Higher campaign
- Provided counsel to The Carnegie Hall Corporation on corporate governance, contract negotiation, corporate sponsorship, licensing, UBIT, and other matters
- Advised fiscal sponsor of innovative nonprofit advocacy projects engaged in fast-paced, high-profile grassroots campaigns to influence public policy and elections ($30+ million in 2017-2018)
- Formed and advised a super PAC that made multi-million-dollar independent expenditures in multiple states during the 2018 U.S. midterm elections
- J.D. Columbia University School of Law 2014
- B.A. Columbia University 2009
Bar Admissions : New York, District of Columbia
Professional Memberships :
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, District of Columbia Bar
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Member, National LGBT Bar Association
Rate : $$$$