An integral member of Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP’s top-ranked privacy and information management practice, counsel Ryan P. Logan is valued for his cutting-edge privacy and cybersecurity advice.
Ryan develops a deep understanding for his clients’ businesses needs and unique privacy and data security challenges in order to effectively guide them through complex regulatory frameworks across multiple jurisdictions.
Ryan’s practice focuses on data breaches, financial privacy, health and genetic privacy, marketing and big data, mobile applications, international data transfer issues and records management.
He assists clients with developing and implementing privacy, cybersecurity and records management programs, including incorporating privacy by design into new product development. Ryan regularly negotiates contracts on behalf of his clients and drafts privacy notices, policies and procedures.
He is also sought for his in-depth knowledge of the impact of various privacy laws on their business, including the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLB),the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), the Controlling the Assault of Non-Solicited Pornography And Marketing Act of 2003 (CAN-SPAM), and other state, federal and international privacy requirements.
Ryan plays a key role in the firm’s privacy and information management practice, named the top privacy adviser for each of its four surveys by Computerworld magazine and ranked a Band 2 privacy and data security practicenationwide in Chambers USA.
Ryan has also offered his capabilities in privacy and cybersecurity to several pro bono clients, including a cancer charity and a nonprofit organization that helps parents and caregivers navigate their childrens’ educational choices.
- Served as primary HIPAA privacy counsel to various clients, including consumer goods manufacturer, pharmacy chain and pharmaceutical manufacturer.
- Designed comprehensive records management programs for retailers, private equity firms and technology companies and presented records management training to their employees.
- Conducted full-scale privacy and information security assessments, including extensive data flow mapping, remediation and development and implementation of privacy and information security policies and procedures.
- Advised established financial institutions as well as FINTECH clients on GLB compliance and drafted GLB and state-specific financial privacy notices.
- Assisted numerous clients with information security breach response and subsequent regulatory investigations.
- Negotiated privacy and security contracts and addenda on behalf of a wide range of clients.
- Counseled clients on privacy and cybersecurity concerns in the development of mobile applications and the sharing of personal data between connected devices.
- Navigated privacy and data security issues for clients in several high-profile corporate transactions, conducted due diligence, revised deal documents and assisted with post-closing remediation issues.
- Developed and implemented service provider programs to help clients evaluate the privacy and information security practices of their service providers.
- Advised automobile manufacturer on privacy laws pertaining to vehicle event data recorders.
- Counseled medical technology company on the advantages and disadvantages of public and private cloud computing.
- Advised numerous clients on privacy issues associated with email, telephone and text message marketing campaigns, including the provision of requisite privacy notices and opt-out mechanisms.
- Drafted Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) policies and procedures for financial institutions and energy companies.
- Certified various companies to the EU-US and Swiss-US Privacy Shield frameworks to enable them to transfer personal data from the EU and Switzerland to the United States.
- JD, Vanderbilt University Law School, Chancellor’s Scholar, Articles Editor, Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law, 2007
- BA, Stanford University, 2001
- New York
- North Carolina
- Member, International Association of Privacy Professionals
Rate : $$$