Ryan C. Maloney is a partner and litigation lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP. He is the vice chair of the firm’s Construction Practice. Mr. Maloney is a Florida Bar Board Certified Construction Lawyer, with extensive experience in construction litigation and counseling for owners, contractors and subcontractors.
He also has substantial experience in other areas of business litigation, including representing businesses in government bid protests and other administrative proceedings, representing lenders in complex commercial foreclosure and loan workouts, and defending businesses in class actions involving antitrust and unfair competition claims, and claims under consumer protection statutes.
Mr. Maloney represents clients at both the trial and appellate level, having successfully handled appeals in the state and federal courts. He is a member of the firm’s Construction Practice, as well as the Business Litigation & Dispute Resolution Practice.
Representative Experience :
- Represented the receiver of a national electrical contractor in arbitration concerning the $1.3 billion dollar Utah Data Center constructed by the Army Corps of Engineers for the National Security Agency;
- Assisted a Fortune 50 company with development of multi-million dollar claims against a designer and contractor for project cost overruns in connection with the construction of an industrial plant;
- Assisted a worldwide leader in architectural, engineering, planning and construction services in the development of a multi-million dollar claim measuring the cumulative impact of hundreds of owner imposed changes, delays and disruptions on a major public highway project;
- Assisted an international real estate developer with preparation and negotiation of contract documents for the construction of a $40 million observation deck and lobby renovation at the tallest office tower west of the Mississippi River, including a thrill feature involving an exterior glass slide between the 70th and 69th floors;
- Assisted a real estate investment fund with preparation and negotiation of contract documents for the construction of a $25 million apartment complex;
- Acted as lead trial counsel for a client in an administrative trial against the Florida Department of Revenue that resulted in all tax assessments, interest and penalties against the client being dropped in full.
Mr. Maloney received his J.D., magna cum laude, from the University of Florida College of Law, where he was elected to the Order of the Coif. While attending law school, he served as an articles executive for the Journal of Law and Public Policy.
Mr. Maloney earned his B.S., cum laude, in sociology and English literature from Florida State University.
Admissions and Professional Memberships :
Mr. Maloney is a member of The Florida Bar and is admitted to practice in the Northern, Southern and Middle Districts of Florida, and before the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals. He is a former barrister in the Chester Bedell Inn of Court.
Mr. Maloney is also a member of the American Bar Association and the ABA Forum Committee on the Construction Industry; the Jacksonville Bar Association; The Florida Bar Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section, Construction Law Committee; and the Associated Builders and Contractors Association – Florida First Coast Chapter.
Mr. Maloney serves as a member and past chair of the Downtown District Board of the YMCA of Florida’s First Coast and was named to Jacksonville Area Legal Aid, Inc.’s 2010 Pro Bono Honor Roll for Exceptional Pro Bono Service. He was also a 2012 United Way of Northeast Florida Stein Fellow.
Rate : $$$